III

Bucky rode his bike all the way to Louisiana. He had left early enough that he got to his only stop by dinner.

In the past, he could have easily done the journey without stopping. The Winter Soldier didn't need breaks. But that wasn't who he was anymore, he'd finally realised after long, gruelling sessions with Doctor Raynor.

He also didn't want to wake Sam up in a frenzy at five in the morning. He was more considerate now, another thing Hydra hadn't allowed for.

Riding his motorcycle through the states, through the countrysides and towns helped him clear his head. Let him think about nothing other than the road stretching ahead of him. That was a good thing, because if he thought anymore about Wanda plaguing his dreams, he might start to connect dots that weren't even there.

Overthinking never did anyone any good.

He never dreamt of her that night, probably something to do with the travelling. It worried him slightly that he never because he'd theorised that the Wanda in his dreams might actually be Wanda and if he didn't see her, did that mean something had happened?

If his theory was correct and it was actually Wanda, that meant she was in his head almost every night and he wasn't sure how he felt about that. There had been enough people poking and prodding and violating his mind to last more than a lifetime.

But if it was her, she was in his head because she needed help and for some reason, the person she chose to help was him. So if that was the only reason she was in there, he supposed he could allow it until they figured out what the fuck was going on.

From the shitty motel he stayed in it was about a five hour drive to Sam's, which he drove flat out without stopping, wanting to get there and sort this out soon.

It was still morning when he pulled up to Sam's, people just beginning to head to the docks to start the days work. Bucky watched as everyone greeted each other, the sense of community strong in the town that had welcomed him so easily.

Sarah's house, where Sam was staying, was out the way, hidden away between willow trees and set against a lake, giving it an incredibly peaceful vibe.

"Bucky?" a female voice pulled him away from his staring at the lake.

"Hey Sarah" he greeted his friends sister who was standing on the porch.

"Didn't expect to see you back so soon" Sarah's arms rested on the railing as Bucky dismounted his bike.

"Yeah, sorry to just show up like this" he walked towards her slightly. "I gotta talk to Sam."

"He's already at the boat" Sarah pointed towards the docks where the Wilson family boat he helped fix was moored. "Everything alright?"

"It should be after I speak to mister star spangled" he mocked, already walking away in the direction Sarah had pointed.

The younger Wilson stood on the porch and watched the over one hundred year old man stomp away to find her brother.

"Tell that idiot the next time he leaves his plate in the sink I won't make him dinner!" she called after him. Bucky only gave a thumbs up over his shoulder.

He took his time walking down, trying to figure out what he was going to say Sam. He couldn't just walk up and say 'I've been dreaming of Wanda. We need to find her' and expect him to up and leave again.