Chapter 10

"Happy tuesday class, today we are starting Catcher in the rye."

English is the only subject im good at, i dont really read a ton on my free time but i do enjoy writing essays.

"How much do you want to bet this will be Wyatts favorite book we read this year?"

Ian asks putting his face close to my ear from behind.

"Oh it so will be."

We laugh a bit

"Rebecca and Ian, i dont want to ask you again to stay quiet."

We both nod and ian returns to his seat. After the party Ian started sitting with us again at lunch and has been better. He hasnt completely stoped smoking but he doesnt leave english for 30 minutes and come back smelling like a wild fire. The bell rings and i stuff the book in my bag and head out the door.

"Rebecca can you stay for a bit"

My teachers asks. I step back and turn to her.

"Yes Ms.Jones?"

"Do you play any sports?"

"No why?"
"Well i was thinking that you should try out for our girls soccer team. Ive seen you on your skateboard after school"

"Yeah sure, when are tryouts"

I dont know why i so easily agreed to try out but i dont know, it seems fun.

"There after school, i know its short notice but i want to see what your capable of."

"Thanks Ms.Jones, ill see you after school i guess"

She waves to me as i walk to Wyatt who is waiting for me.

"What was that about?"

He says wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

"Im trying out for soccer."

He pauses.

"Wait what."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No not at all just"

I turn around to face him.

"Just what?"

.............

Soccer try outs are more intense then i thought they would be. These girls are aggressive and so nice at the same time. Im 20 minutes in and i can tell you i will not be making varsity.

"Rebecca come here"

Ms.Jones says holding a clip board

"Try goalie."

I nod but i know that means ill be getting the ball kicked at me and lots of bruises. Practices wont start till spring so ill have time to build endurance but the moment i tried goalie i got put to the side line. Was Wyatt right? He told me that the girls that play soccer start when there 4 and never stoped. I wasnt put into sports, i did lights for the plays ava and Ian did growing up not this. Theres a lot of girls who look so intense on the battle field but one they go to get water look so sweet. Its so strange. I dont want to be in soccer. I dont have that good of a poker face.

"Hey newbie, first try out?"

A girl i dont reconize says to me.

"Uh yeah, i just wanted to try it out since i like skateboarding"

That made you sound stupid Becca.

"Well those are two diffrent things but ok? Im Nat, whats your name?"