Chapter 4: Routine

"So what you're saying you're sleeping with her?"

"Idiot. haven't you been listening?"

You scold Fritz as Julie sips her drink

"Like I said for the 5th time she just appeared out of nowhere and had no where else to go, circumstances happened and now she sleeps on my bed while I sleep on my couch"

"Wait so you're not dating her?"

"I'm starting to wonder if you even actually have a brain"

You insulted Fritz as Julie laughs to herself.

"I just don't understand this situation how in the world do you just unintentionally take a girl home let alone let her stay there."

"Like I told you over the phone Fritz she's from another world she's not from here, she came from some magical world which probably explains how she got here."

Julie explains

"And that's the thing how are you two so chill about this? There's living proof of multiple realities let alone magic and you two are just eating and drinking coffee."

"We are on our lunch break, can't exactly waste time discussing about it. By the way Julie can I copy essay"

You replied as you take bites into your sandwich.

"You two are just on a whole new level of..I don't even know."

"And you're friends with us so that makes you one of us."

Julie replied as she reaches in her bag for the essay you asked.

"So if she works as a waitress how does she know the orders? Based on what you said she struggled with shopping."

"I....I actually don't know, I only taught her some words and most of them was just to read food labels."

"Well you'll have time to ask after class."

Julie replied as she stands up to go and attend her next class leaving you still eating.

"Wait what HEY WAIT UP."

You shouted as you scoffed down the rest of your sandwich to catch up to your friends as they walk progressively faster.

You wondered throughout your classes about Rem, letting your mind overthink as you half listen to the lecture.

"Is she alright? Is doing well on the job? Maybe she won't be able to read a certain dish. What if some customers use slang words she won't be able to understand."

You thought and thought as the clock ticks by. And just like that your classes finished but your day was just getting started.
You then said goodbye too Fritz and Julie and went to your part time job.

A standard restaurant crew member. It was your turn to man the cash register, just the thought of talking to multiple strangers while putting on a smile made your exhausted already but rent is rent, so you buckled down and prayed you don't encounter any difficult customers.

Ding, Ding, Ding. The sound of the register runs like clockwork, tick, tick, tick, the buttons you know all too well felt like  an extension of your body.
Coordinated, Efficient, Mechanical the work became like second nature.
And by the time you realized it it was already done.

After working for 6 hours it was already night time, and so you pack your uniform and left, on the way you passed the same cross walk you first met her, and REMembered that you don't have to come home alone anymore.

With this thought you were filled energy and joy, and upon returning home you see a sight you never thought you would.

There you see Rem asleep on the table with several books and a notebook, you went to look at the title, and it was one of your old textbooks you forgot about. You then looked at her notes and it seems she wrote down random words from the text books like "pallettes, Complementary colors, color theory, shadow, Focal point etc."

"It looks like she was trying to learn how to read your language, and slept halfway through. With the day she must've had she must've been exhausted and to try and learn how to read and write, she really pushed herself."

You thought to yourself. Setting down your bag you wanted to move Rem to the bed so she can sleep better but she woke up suddenly and poke you in the eyes.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

You screamed painfully.
While Rem repeatedly apologized as you cry in pain.

After a few minutes you calmed down. Rem apologized repeatedly and you did the same saying "I shouldn't have startled you like that"

The two of you played a game of tennis with apologies, passing the apology to each other until eventually you gave in and accepted it.

You then asked why your old textbooks were on the table and she immediately apologized again for going through your stuff without permission.

She then explains that she had trouble with reading the cafe's menu items and giving orders to the chefs so when she came home she wanted to study and she saw your old textbooks and used that.

You then offered to tutor her. Telling her it would be best seeing as she was reading the wrong materials, she was hesitant to accept saying you already have a busy schedule.

You then reassured her "it's fine trust me you are the only thing I'm looking forward to." She then turned beet red and you also. You then started to explain stuttering "I-I-I meant tutoring...I meant I look forward to tutor you"

"Oh ok" she replied as she avoided your eye contact. You took a step back to breathe while she continued to avoid eye contact.

"Why don't we have some coffee, that should help." You suggested and Rem nodded in agreement.

"Great I'll be back, and I'll get you a change of clothes."

After giving Rem some of your clean clothes to wear you went back to the convenience store and bought two small packs of coffee instant coffee.

Coming back to the apartment you were greeted with the sight of Rem in another one of your clothes. She welcomed you home and you thanked her, she looked at you diligently seeing you prepare coffee.

"Sorry I don't have cream, I only have sugar if you want." And she happily accepts. And now seeing as you only had one chair and one table you thought of just teaching her while standing up like one of your old highschool teachers.

But Rem suggested an idea. She moved the table closer to the couch and put all the materials after, and just like that before you realized you were cuddled close to Rem.

"How did this happen?!!!"

You thought to yourself.

But you pushed through and started tutoring her. The two of you spent time writing, listening, and reading various different words as the both of you sat close to each other drinking coffee, before you knew it you didn't feel the day's exhaustion at all.