Poetic ✨Alternative AU✨

(Yes, I realize that means 'Alternative Alternate Universe' but really who am I to care?)

Cliché / AU: Villain x Hero, Memory Loss, Childhood Friends to Lovers

Plot Summary: The same Zero and Noah, except this time the heroes won, and Noah loses his memories. Zero can't just leave him to die, but how can he survive with the knowledge that Noah doesn't remember anything? And what happens when time starts to run out?

❗️TW❗️Brief mentions of horrific accident

(Noah POV)

There's nothing above me except cool, grey rock. It's illuminated, somehow, probably by a lantern. My mouth is so dry.

The fourth thing I notice is the mattress below me. It's standard, small, I guess. Is that how mattresses should be? Isn't there more fancy ones? Wait, yes there is. I've slept in one before, somewhere. It was big, and a lot more comfortable. This one sucks.

God, my head is pounding. What time is it? What happened? I'm in... a cell? There's bars where an exit should be, and manacles around my wrists. What? Why? How did I end up here...? fuck, everything hurts...
________________________________

(Zero POV)

I couldn't just let him die.

Yeah yeah, he's my enemy, and he'd probably screw me over if we were in opposite positions. I'm sure he wants me dead... But what the hell? I wasn't the one that pushed him off that balcony, I wasn't the one that tried to kill him! I was in no way responsible for that accident, so I needn't follow through with the end goal. Well... I could have been there faster. I could have just gotten there in time, if Aaron hadn't been in my way! I could have saved him, we wouldn't be in this mess. He would still be fine, probably escaped somewhere off plotting his revenge and the best way to do me in. And everything would be normal, he wouldn't be bandaged up and trapped in a cell below the very castle he was raised in.

But, we won the war. I am the King's most powerful personal guard, and I happen to know him well. I got His Majesty to agree for now, so anyone who wishes death upon Noah can face me or the gallows themselves. He will live, even if he should be facing execution for the crimes he's committed. But really, I should be too if we're thinking about that. He's at least behind bars right now, so he can't hurt anyone. He can't be hurt anymore. It will be okay...

~*^,^*~

A novice guard quickly unlocked the door, and we made our way through the winding corridors. Everything is so bleak down here, no wonder it was Noah's least favorite part of the castle. He used to tell me all these stories about the people trapped down here, how his father made him accompany the guards to feed them a few times...

We finally came to a stop, and my company lit a few more sconces. Noah lay there, hunched up on the cloth covered hay. Some blood had seeped through his clothes, and he wore a type of scarf around his head. We had him stitched up by the best doctors we could find on short notice, but there's still a chance he won't survive the injuries. Maybe that's why the King let me have this, because he knew that he would die anyway. But that can't happen! I'll find better doctors, more of them. I'll give him everything he needs, even when he complains like the proud bastard he is. Because it's over now, it's all over. And we've both survived. It needs to stay that way.

Noah opened his eyes, and cautiously looked our way. They were scrunched and lidded, and the breaths that moved between his soft lips were heavy and pained. Every part of his body language screamed agony, and the blood covered clothing didn't help. He looked terrible.

For fucks sake! The bottom of a dungeon is not where you treat people for injuries! He looks like he'll keel over any minute, he should be getting more attention! What the hell!? Where are the doctors? We need more fucking doctors, we need to get him to the infirmary! This is not how we treat people, this is torture, he's still a fucking human being! We need to help-