Chapter 12 - Shazia Meets Amir

Start from the beginning

A very young and beautiful fulani looking girl was sitting in class by herself. She was so engrossed in her book she didn't notice a young boy standing in front of her desk. He stood staring at her for a while admiring her beauty. She looked so innocent and sweet as her rich brown sparkling, round eyes scanned through the pages. Her golden brown skin glowed in the sunlight streaming through the window beside her and her extremely dark and long hair which was neatly tied with a ribbon stuck out of her cap. Her full rounded eyebrows, nubian nose and naturally pink heart shaped lips were just so perfect for her oval face.

'Can I have this seat please?'. The young boy finally asked in a low pitched voice, pointing to the empty chair beside her.

'Okay'. She answered tersely, her head buried in her book.

'Meaning?' He asked, waiting for clarification but she ignored him.

Minutes had passed and the young girl was still reading her book so he cleared his throat to get her attention.

'Can't someone read in peace in this class?' She stated rudely, raising her head. 'I said you can have the seat so why are you still trying to distract…'. She paused as her gaze fell on a new boy with the most radiant smile ever, looking very dapper in his uniform. She met his gaze briefly and looked away, trying not to be distracted by his good looks. He had this mesmerising stare!

'Assalamu alaikum. Hello.. Sorry, I didn't mean to bother you please. I am new here and I was wondering if I could sit here'. He informed her, his smile broadening to reveal his dimples. That was the only empty seat in the class of 12.

'A new student in the middle of the term?' Shazia wondered to herself.

'We just moved here. Actually, I am here on scholarship, not that we could afford this school'. He responded sincerely, as if he read her mind.

'Yes you can'. She told him with a smile as she continued reading her book. She admired his sincerity.

'Thank you'. He responded, sitting on the chair. 'I am Ahmad Muhammad Ibrahim Rimi, but family and friends call me Amir, which coincidentally is also my initials'. He paused. 'You can call me Amir too by the way'.

'Shazia El-Muneer, nice to meet you'. She greeted, extending her hand for a handshake.

'Sorry, boys and girls don't shake. It's against Islam'. He reminded her, holding back his hands.

She felt really embarrassed so she continued reading her book in silence. Her mind wasn't really on the book, it was on Amir and she kept stealing glances at him.

Amir noticed how uncomfortable Shazia was and decided to make it up to her in the little way he could think of. 'I will make her smile before school closes'. He promised himself. 'Can you show me round the school during break time please? I don't know anyone here'. He requested politely, not sure what her response would be.

'Okay'.

The teachers came in for their periods and each took his subject. Amir was asked to briefly introduce himself in every class and he shyly did so. All the girls in the class had their attention on him and the boys somehow felt jealous.

It was finally break time and as promised, Shazia took him round the school. 'Our last stop is the school canteen'. She informed him as they stepped into the beautiful and spacious canteen filled with students from different classes.

Amir froze in his tracks as he felt students staring at him from all directions. 'I can't go in, they are too much'.

'C'mon! There are less than 70 students here'. Shazia giggled.

'Please! I can't'. He said turning round to leave.

'What are you? 8 years old?' Shazia dragged him into the canteen.

'Stop it please.. Stop pulling me'. Shazia ignored him till they got to an empty table.

'Here you go! Now sit down like a good boy!' She commanded him, releasing his hand.

'After you ma'am'. he said politely. Shazia gave him a glaring look and he immediately sat down hoping she wouldn't 'touch' him again. Shazia smiled as she took her seat. A waitress walked over, informed them of what was on the menu for the day and they were immediately served.

'Someone serves you on your seat?' Amir was shocked.

'I hate queues!' She responded as she started munching her toast. Amir nodded and began eating his burger in silence. He could still feel people staring at him.

'Hello Shazia.. Hello Amir!'. A lady greeted, pulling the chair next to Amir. Shazia continued eating without acknowledging her presence. 'Welcome to Elite International College'. The lady told him. He only smiled. 'I am Najma, we are in the same class. Nice to meet you'. She introduced herself, stretching out her hand for a handshake. Shazia almost burst out laughing.

'Ahmad Muhammad'. He replied without responding to the handshake. Najma drew back her hand.

'Can we be friends?'. She asked him.

'Just how shameless can some girls be?'. Shazia thought to herself.

'Sure'. He replied, smiling.

'Good.. I'll show you round the school and we can talk along the way'.

'Sorry, I've already seen the whole school thanks to Shazia. I appreciate your offer though'. Najma felt really embarrassed, but unlike in Shazia's case, Amir didn't really bother. Najma kept talking but when she noticed that Amir wasn't really interested, she left.

Students went back to their classes and lessons continued. This time around, Amir kept stealing glances at Shazia, there was something different about her that he couldn't point a finger at.

School was finally over and students were all getting ready to leave.

'See you tomorrow Amir'. Without raising his head, he could tell it was Najma. 'Can I have your number please?' She requested. Shazia was already fuming.

'Sorry, I don't own a phone yet'. He informed her politely, looking at Shazia.

'Too bad!! I wanted us to get to know ourselves better. Anyways, take care of yourself'. She left.

'What's wrong with you?' Amir asked Shazia when he noticed her facial expression.

'Nothing. Can we leave now?'

'Okay'. He replied smiling.

The duo got to the parking lot of the school and went their separate ways.

Once home, Shazia couldn't wait for the driver to park properly before jumping out of the car.

'Laura! Laura!!' she kept calling as she ran towards the female Servants' Quarters.

End of Chapter 12.

So now we know how Shazia met Amir. But what happened?? Where on earth is Amir?

Please comment, like and share.

Thank you 💜