1. Honk! Honk!

The jarring noise of the cars honking around me rose me from my peaceful slumber.

'Where am I?' I think in my mind as I try to gather my thoughts. Oh shit! I start driving my car as I move to the hospital.

'I shouldn't have spent this much time on the patients last night' I think to myself as I drive out of this alarming traffic in New York.

As I drive, I kept on checking the time. I reached the hospital. A navy blue blouse with some black jeans seems presentable enough for today.

I count my lucky stars to have made it here on my own.

Greeting the guards at the entrance I move past them. I wear my white coat as I hastily make my way through the people surrounding me.

Rushing into my cabin I start the laptop for the online conference that was scheduled for today on congestive heart failure. Time drones out as the doctor on the screen continues to explains it.

The weather turns stormy outside and the smell of fresh rain rejuvenates me. It is one of my favorite scents. As I am leaving the conference room, I am stressed by how much patients I have to check up on for today.

Reaching the wards I roam amongst all the patients in my routine rounds.
I see happy faces and sullen faces and somehow I have become so numb to all of this around me that I didn't realize it's already lunch time.

Keeping my stethoscope in my cabin I move to the lunch room .
"Hey Doyle. I am so done for the day" I say as a greeting.
"So am I" she replies tiredly.

We continue to eat our lunch in silence and I realize how lonely I am even after being surrounded by so many lively people.

It's just something at the back of my mind I am not whining about it much but I just want someone I can reach out to for venting all my frustrations and maybe to love and care for; to have someone to pamper me when I am at the worst of my times.

I am lost in my own thoughts until my phone rings.
"Hello sir"
"Hello Serene. So I wanted to inform you to keep your schedule clear for the next week as we are leaving for the rural area posting."
"Yes sir"

He cuts the call and I talk to Dodo about the same. We reminisce all the times we were together and she regretfully replies.
"I won't be coming with you this time around, Ser"
"I know" I say in a disheartened tone.
We finish our lunch and then I move to the O.P.D.

Time runs it's course as it's evening already. I leave the hospital and reach my home thinking tomorrow maybe won't be as monotonous. Wishful thinking I would say...
And with that thought in my mind I drift off to sleep.

________________________

Fact for the day- The smell during rain is due to geosmin oil secreted by actinomycetes, a type of bacteria.

__________________________

Good day
Love 💙