Chapter 24: World of 1% (4)

Start from the beginning

“…”

“Then, you tried to prank him again and got what you deserved.”

“…”

“And yet you still tag along with the man like a fool?”

Claire narrowed her eyes; she knew Mino well. Mino was like this since they met at the Tower of Nightmares. She was weak, but she had a temper. In addition, she also liked to prank people and cause trouble. She wasn’t bad but she always got the people around her into trouble.

“You even got me killed once, remember?”

Mino drank her beer.

“…Am I that much of a nuisance?”

“I think the man is dangerous. Let him go. You can get any man you want.”

“…Heh heh.”

“Why are you still on his tail?”

Mino’s eyes shook. She thought for a while and then spoke.

“It’s just… when I look at him…”

Claire had heard many stories that followed starting with those words. She braced herself for a long love story or something similar. However…

“He makes me so mad.”

It was unexpected.

“He’s so arrogant, he’s ill-mannered, and talks crap… but no one can stop him. He does whatever he wants but no one can stop him. Red Fox Clan. The Stubborn. Twilight’s Fall. None of them. …Claire, do you know what that makes me think of?”

Mino glanced around the saloon and continued,

“It feels like my entire life is a joke.”

“..”

“I didn’t die because I didn’t want to. Me and you. We did the best we could.”

Mino smiled bitterly.

“And him… he just comes out of nowhere as if he wants to prove that all we did and all we fought for is wrong. He just destroys, kills, and break things apart…”

Her mug was emptied and then she refilled it again.

“Maybe I just want to see… someone stop him. I can’t do it. But someone… might come along and put an end to him. So…”

Claire then understood what she meant. She also felt something similar, a long time ago in the past. She ignored it and ran, and got old. She knew what Mino was going through.

“Mino, let me give you advice.”

“Huh?”

“Don’t talk to him or even go near him anymore.”

“…Why?”

“If you stay with him, you will ‘really’ die.”

Mino flinched. She had never seen Claire’s face this solemn since she got Claire involved in an incident where it killed the both of them. Before Mino could reply, a message energy made from spiritual power shot through the window of the saloon and reached Mino. She checked the sender.

[Karlton – Northern Gate Captain]

‘…Huh? Why me?’

At that moment, Mino felt a terrifying pressure from all sides. It didn’t feel like it was there to fight her, but the energy was overwhelming. And there were a lot of them. There were many that Mino could not guarantee victory against in a one-on-one fight that were closing in. Then, the doors to the saloon opened and men walked in. Mino pulled out a dagger from her clothes despite her drunken stupor. One of the men walked up to her and asked, “Are you the Witch of Massacre?”