Chapter 18: Silver Bind (2)

Start from the beginning

Nobody answered as the bearded man stayed silent. He took out a cigarette from his clothing and lit it. He was giving them time to find a reason. It allowed them to come to a conclusion.

Some of the women were shaking with cold as the rags that covered them weren't enough. The bearded man threw his cigarette to the ground and stepped on it. Then one of the men asked with a shaky voice, "Was it... because we were weak?"

It seemed like he was being crushed from within just by saying it. The bearded man scoffed, "Yes, but to be more precise..."

He drew in everyone's attention.

"You all died like insects because you did not put in enough work."

The people began to mumble to each other. They disagreed. Every one of them here had put in enough work. The Tower of Nightmares wasn't easy to clear if they did not try. Some even glared at the bearded man.

"You look like you don't agree. Think about it. Did you try really hard? To your 'last' breath?"

He intentionally emphasized the word 'last'.

"You have died once, so now you will know. You, after getting killed with your intestines gutted open, head chopped off, being raped and left for dead, will know. You will know what I mean by 'dying breath.'"

The people moaned and cried, the memories of their deaths were still fresh. They could not look at the bearded man. He was right after all. After they died, they now realized that they had never tried so hard to the point where it might kill them.

"But you all are lucky. You will be given another chance. A chance to try harder."

Some looked up at him.

"You need to know only one thing. If you die here, you will 'really' die."

Those were terrifying words for the people who had died once.

"So what you need to do here is only one thing. Survive. Keep surviving."

Survive.

"Live, and work on your skills. Empower yourself. Wait for a chance."

Wait and grow in power.

"That's when the miracle will come. I assure you, the ones who try hard will get a chance to leave the Tree of Imagery. Try hard to avenge your enemy. Do what it takes to return what you have suffered. That is all I can say."

The people who listened were speechless. Some even shivered.

The speech was over. The soldiers around them clapped emotionlessly. Then, they began guiding the newcomers into the office.

"Men, this way. Women, that way. Come."

The soldiers approached the bearded man as he came down from the stage.

"It was a great speech!"

"What a great speech it was, Lieutenant!"

The bearded man took the water from the soldier and mumbled,

"...Nah."

He was uninterested. He had probably repeated the same speech over hundreds of times. The words all sounded great, but he knew they were all lies.

No one among them would be able to leave this Tree of Imagery. Like everyone did when they were in the <Great Lands>, most would die on their 'First Hunt', and those who survived would continue to barely live.

Like himself.

Then someone said, "James, that was some speech. I thought you only did that when you ask girls out."