57. Second to Last

The soft light of early morning filled your eyes when they finally opened. A large window revealed a cityscape from high up with patches of pale orange and purple clouds floating through the sky. A soft snore drew your attention away from the view.

"Hari?" You croaked, the dryness of your throat only now becoming evident.

He was sitting in a chair next to you with his face in your hospital bed. When you spoke his snores stopped, he moved and rubbed his eyes. A small smile crept upon his sleepy face when he saw you were awake.

"How are you feeling?" He sat up straight and scooched his rolling chair closer.

"Like I got hit by a truck, I should know, I've been hit by a truck before."

He let out an awkward chuckle and lifted his hand to feel your forehead. "You're fever seems to have gone down, thank goodness."

"I had a fever?"

"Yeah," he withdrew his hand. "You were in pretty bad shape when I... when I found you."

"You were the one that found me? But Hari, how are you even here? Did you break out!"

"No, no, I uhhh."

And so, he told you all that had happened. His agreement with Aizawa and your uncle. The altercation with Dabi. All of it.

When he finished talking you immediately wrapped your arms around his neck in a tight hug.

"We should probably wake your uncle up." Hari pointed to the corner where the previously unseen Shirakumo was crashed on a couch.

"I've been awake!" Your uncle jolted upright. " You two just seemed like you needed a moment."

Hari pulled away from you and looked around the room in search of something interesting.

"Your mom was here nearly all night but she got called back to the agency about an hour ago." Shirakumo yawned. "You're still here, Kurono? I thought-"

"Eraserhead said it could wait." Hari cut him off.

"What could wait?" You asked worriedly. "Is there something wrong, Hari?"

He smiled sadly at your words. "It will be okay. What's most important is that you're safe now."

His hand slid over yours and squeezed it lightly. Those sharp gray eyes of his caught you and it was all you could do to stare into them while he traced careful circles on the back of your hand.

A loud slurp of a drink could be heard, effectively breaking your concentration.

"I'm still here..." Your uncle said, taking yet another slurp from his iced coffee. "Ah! And so is Shota!"

Without missing a beat, the glass door slid open and Aizawa walked through.

He nodded to you. "Are you feeling alright?"

"Could be worse." You shrugged in response.

Aizawa glanced at you and Hari's joined hands, seeming reluctant to speak. Hari's hand tightened in yours.

"Time to go?" He asked of the tired pro hero.

"Afraid so. Better make it quick." Aizawa gestured to the door. "Come on Shirakumo, let's give them a minute."

"Heyyy, why can't I stay?"

"Come on." Aizawa grabbed your Uncle by the collar and dragged him out of the room, leaving you and Hari alone.

When they left, you turned your attention back to him. "What's happening? Hari... you're not leaving again are you?"

He leaned forward, resting his forehead against your shoulder. Your fragile body wrapped up in his strong arms.