32. Nightmares or Reality

"Here, read this."

"A book on pressure points?" You took the small but thick book that Hari offered you.

"It would be a useful thing for you to learn. Technique rather than brute force will be more helpful to you in close combat fighting."

You flipped through the book eagerly. Detailed illustrations and diagrams of the human body were littered through the small book. Anatomy had never been one of your interests, but if it helped you fight, why not study it? Something bothered you however, why were these people helping you learn all these things when you could turn on them in an instant? You looked up at Hari questioningly. If you were going to ask anyone about this, he'd be the one most likely to answer you truthfully. 

"Hari?"

"Yeah?"

"Why are you teaching me all these things?"

"Currently that's my job."

"I know but still...." You hesitated to say what you were really thinking. After all you were going to flee from this place as soon as you could. 

"What brought this on?" Hari leaned against your doorway. He was listening, something he didn't usually do.

You fiddled with the book awkwardly. It was risky, but you wanted to know. "What if I double crossed you? Wouldn't all this training you're doing with me... Couldn't that be used against you?"

Hari sighed like he had already been thinking about this. "Well, we want you to join us but if you betray us? Remember that we can always put a bullet in your brain if that's the case. As Overhaul said, you're of use dead or alive."

You gulped and remained silent. This had not been a good idea. Hari sighed like he had never been so exhausted. 

"I'd rather not be the one to kill you." His expression was unreadable. "Don't be a waste of my effort."

You nodded. A hand landed on your head and gave you a soft pat. You nearly jumped out of your skin at the unexpected affection. It was hard to meet his eyes when he relinquished the small touch. You could imagine the ghost of a smile on his face but you didn't have the courage to look up at him. 

"Study up okay?" Hari walked through the door and locked it behind him.

Muffling an internal scream you scurried off to get cleaned up. After changing out of your sweaty training clothes into a comfortable pair of shorts and a tee shirt, you flopped back on your uncomfortable bed and reopened the book. You read through the introduction quickly and moved onto the first chapter. It wasn't easy reading. Whenever a pressure point was mentioned you traced the spot on your own body with a finger. Studying filled up your late hours. Before you knew it, it was already midnight. Having no windows in your room really messed with your head. The digital clock that blinked 12:15 made you realize how tired you really were. You placed the book on the table, flipped off the lights, and dove under the covers.

It was dark, but a comforting darkness. Warmth seeped through you as you felt a pair of arms drew you close under the heavy covers. Scarred lips kissed your temple.

"It's been too long." Tomura mumbled into your hair.

You wanted to respond but your mouth couldn't form the words you wanted to say. Instead you huddled closer to him.

"What did you do while I was away?" He asked calmly while his hands gripped your sides, fingernails digging into your skin. "I asked you a question."

Nothing... is what you wanted to say. But your voice was muffled. His weight moved on top of you, pinning you to the mattress.

"You told me you'd wait. Was that all a lie?" He hissed into your ear. Hands closed around your neck and for the first time you wished his deadly touch worked on you. He squeezed harder and harder, restricting your breath until you were gasping for air.