#30: TEARS ARE NOT ENOUGH, PART ONE (s2 finale)

Start from the beginning

Regardless, it actually did feel like they meant well, and the food was too good to pass up, so Ellie already made plans to have any and all Ashley-less hang outs over there from now on. 

"Point taken. Maybe I should take Italian this summer. Get a tutor." I spotted Craig, Sean, and Ashley Kerwin at the entrance of the school and grimaced. "You know, since I have no other plans."

Ellie glanced between me and Ashley. "You're overreacting. And why Italian?"

"Reasons," I said as straight-faced as possible. Ellie rolled her eyes, and I tried again as we pushed through the front doors. "Fine. You got me. I really want a hot Italian tutor to say things to me like 'ciao, bela' and 'mi amore'. Or a Spanish tutor, literally from Spain, who calls me 'Querida' or Cara Mia'."

Clearly the rest of the group tuned into the conversation when Craig's brows shot up. "So Gomez Addams."

"Yes," I said matter-of-factly, my stare flat and bordering on bitter as it met his. After the drama class project a few weeks ago, our hang outs went from every other day to once or twice a week — and when they did happen, we spent far too much time discussing Ashley. "I would like Gomez Addams to tutor me."

"In what?" Ellie asked.

"Obviously ze language of love."

"Pretty sure that's a French accent."

"Any language is a love language, El. Think outside the box." I tapped my temple twice, and she rolled her eyes as she laughed. Ashley forced a laugh like she was trying to be part of the joke, and Sean snorted and shook his head. Craig chuckled quietly. "Seriously though, Gomez sees no one but Morticia. They are the perfect relationship. Almost as much as Sean and Emma."

Sean looked away but the smile was there. "Shut up."

"Or Ellie and Marco?" I offered.

"Please shut up," Ellie groaned, she headed on her way. "See you guys tomorrow."

When I turned to Craig, he was staring, but shook his head like he desperately needed to shake something out of it. "So, anyway, I turn the paper test over, and I'm sure I studied the wrong stuff."

"Armstrong's exam?" I asked.

He blew out a breath. "Bane of my existence."

"I know the feeling," Ashley said with a sigh, and despite her not doing anything at the moment to make me wish she'd go away, the urge was there. "The exam I'm really dreading is science."

"Right, I will have plans," I said, snapping my fingers. "Memorizing the periodic table in summer school."

Not actually. I would most likely pass by the the skin of my teeth with the increased time I spent studying alone in my house when I wasn't distracted by my laptop.

Craig groaned. "Tell me about it. Science is totally my worst subject."

"Maybe you need a little help from your old science study partner," a voice called out behind us. Older. A man's voice.

If I wasn't already freezing from the unexpected weather, I'd think it was the icy demeanor suddenly coming from Craig.

"Dad?" Craig said, the color draining from his face. "What are you— what are you doing here?!"

And the earth opened wide, darkness swallowing us in a blink. Or maybe that was just me. We all turned, slowly, with small, even steps, my spine straight as a rod.

Doctor Manning strode over with his arms folded, dressed in a suit and wearing glasses I now found vaguely familiar until I realize they were exactly like the ones Craig wore in that drama scene. The thought gave me a chill. "I just thought I'd come by and see my son...meet his friends."