12. Alpha Duels

Mylo 

"You want me to do what?" Sadie asked, her eyes growing wide. "Fight to the death?" 

Sadie said exactly what I was thinking, only louder and angrier. Sometimes I wondered if my sister had any sense of self-preservation. We were in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by people who could turn into wolves and had, for all intents and purposes, kidnapped us. I wouldn't dare yell at any of them, but Sadie never hesitated to show her teeth.

Sadie balled her fists. Her hard eyes darted from Jade to Lasha as if she were ready to punch them both in the face. "I'm not fighting anyone. Except you, if you get in my way. We're leaving."

"You would leave the safety of a pack knowing that you're being hunted?" Lasha asked. "You and brother won't even last the rest of the month as rogues." 

"We've lasted all our lives so far without your help," Sadie bit. "We'll take our chances alone. If we have nothing to do with you or inheriting your land, there's no reason for us to be hunted by anyone." 

"Have you not been listening to us? Knowing you exist is enough for the witch to never stop hunting you," Jade argued. "Not being involved still can't change your alpha blood. It doesn't change the witch wanting everyone who is alpha-blooded to die. Children, infants, and even those who lived among humans all their lives and cannot shift. It doesn't matter." 

"I will simply change my name and city," Sadie persisted. "They won't find me if I leave the country. And neither will you. You will never see me or Mylo again."

"Wait, Sadie," I called out as my sister turned to walk away. "We don't know anything about this witch. If there are men and women who can turn into wolves...who knows what kind of magic a witch has? I-I mean I've seen it on television shows. Scrying with crystals and stuff? Maybe she can find you easily no matter where you go. Maybe she never found us before because she hasn't started looking until now." 

"You should listen to your brother, Sadie," Jade said, crossing her arms. "You're supposably the alpha-blooded sibling, but it seems he is the more clever one out of the two of you." 

I felt a stab of guilt in my gut at look of betrayal on Sadie's face. But I'd feel even worse if we left now without at least getting more information on the witch and her werewolf servants who were apparently hunting my sister. Besides that: I didn't believe Lasha would ever do anything that could hurt me. And he knew what hurt my sister would hurt me. 

Honestly, I didn't know who or what to believe at this point. I only believed it wouldn't be in our best interest to run out of this werewolf forest immediately. We shouldn't stick around for the death duels either though.  

I turned to my sister. "Please. Let's at least hear them out so we know who we're dealing with. We stay for one night." I glanced at Jade and Lasha. "But we're not staying here for any of your duels."  

Sadie pursed her lips. "Fine," she eventually spat. "We are leaving tomorrow."

"Sadie, with all due respect, it's safer if you lean how to defend yourself before the next full moon," Lasha said. "You will need to learn how to shift and—" 

"I don't need to do anything," Sadie interrupted him. "I am not fighting for you. And if you try to do anything to prevent us from leaving tomorow morning, know I will never cooperate with you. I will do everything in my power to escape."

Lasha winced at Sadie's harsh words and I almost stepped closer to him to grab his hand. The urge to comfort him was strong, but I wasn't about to show him any affection in front of my sister. That would only make her feel like I wasn't on her side, and I was.