4. Human Mate

Lasha

I was in a fuck ton of trouble. So much trouble, in fact, that most werewolves in my position would have decided this wasn't worth it, and it was time to run.

If only there was somewhere I could run.

The world wasn't large enough to flee the danger all werewolves were in, including Mylo. If I could even call him a werewolf. Mylo probably could shift if we showed him the way, but for all intents and purposes, my mate was human. As human as a werewolf could get.

Fuck. Why did I find my mate here? Why now, and why me? Unlike others, I'd never in my life prayed to the Goddess and asked for a mate, and I wasn't looking for close ties to anyone.

I knew what I had to do to protect Mylo and myself: hide him from the others, tell them I'd lost his trail, and leave.

When you laid eyes on your mate and they're human, you only have two real choices, anyway. Pretend you never saw them and move on, or stay among humans as an outsider who'd never truly belong. You were both fucked either way. You'd get to live feeling bereft, or to live while knowing you're a rogue wolf. Alone and without protection against hunters or other packs who may find you and your mate.

I looked up. Mylo sat opposite me in the hotel lobby, typing on his phone. He ran a hand through his shaggy brown hair, blissfully unaware of the fuck ton of trouble also hanging over his head.

If I walked out of the building and vanished into the crowd, we would never see each other again, and it would be for the better.

I had not yet told the others Mylo's name, and we didn't need him for our plan. We only meant to take him as extra leverage should his sister resist coming with us. If we only took the alpha blooded woman, he could stay here and live his life in peace. He'd miss her, but he'd be safe. I could do it... but I couldn't do it. I didn't understand how anyone could look their mate in the eyes and decide to walk away. I had only taken one look at Mylo and knew I could never leave him again. The pull was too strong. His scent was ingrained in my mind now, even if he was terribly naïve, and taking him to a werewolf pack would spell disaster for both of us.

I knew what the pull of the mate bond felt like but I tried to compose myself. Mylo didn't even try to hide he felt it. Well, granted, he tried to hide it. He just did so poorly. Mylo had no poker face, and he was clumsy.

He'd tried to covertly take a picture of me... and forgot to turn off his phone's sound. Then he tried to play I off like he was just making a selfie while his face turned an adorable shade of beet-red. I just nodded, pretending to believe him while hoping his sister was more collected, and that there was even a point to kidnapping a human-raised alpha and her brother.

For the millionth time since we left the apartment complex together, I wished I hadn't been the one to find Mylo first. If it'd been anybody else, they still would've dragged him along against his will, but at least it wouldn't have been me doing this to him.

I saw the way Mylo looked at me. It made me want to come closer and touch his tawny skin. It made my skin itch with impatience for our hotel room so we could be completely alone which was foolish, because the moment I received the signal on my phone, I had to lure Mylo outside, lock him in my car, and take him against his will. He would no longer look at me that way. I knew this wouldn't last, but I just wanted to hear him talk and have a reason to stare at him for as long as I could.

"You said your first workday is next week," I said, instantly making Mylo look up from his phone. "Where are you going to work?"

"Oh, me?" he blurted with wide eyes, like there was anyone else on this planet I wanted to talk to. "I got a job at Java Jan's. It's a new cafe at the train station. It sells macaroons and all kinds of coffee."

I made a mental note of the name, just in case finding and capturing Sadie took longer than expected.

"Are you looking forward to it?" I asked.

Mylo's eyes lit up at me showing interest in him. It would've made my heart soar, if it wasn't for the guilt of what I would have to do to him weighing it down. He opened this mouth to respond, but just as he did, his phone started ringing.

Mylo quickly silenced it. He shot me a nervous smile. "Sorry about that."

The corners of my lips tugged up while Mylo fiddled with his phone. I wanted to tease him about the photo he clearly took of me earlier and that he should have silenced his phone for that, but he already looked so nervous and red that I decided to save the teasing for later.

I lost my train of thought a second later. Mylo looked up from his phone and his beautiful dark brown eyes knocked the air out of my lungs.

"A-anyway, as I was saying," Mylo continued, "I am looking forward to it. Especially to trying all their unique blends on my break."

I nodded, thinking to myself it would be better if Mylo never shifted into a wolf if he loved coffee. Many of the blends would suddenly be too bitter for him, or too intense because he could taste every single flavour.

"Sounds like you picked a fine job," I offered.

Mylo chuckled. "And you?" he asked. "What do you do?"

I'm a werewolf warrior, here to kidnap you and your sister in order to keep our territory because all our other alpha bloodlines got wiped out in gruesome fashion. It's likely the same will happen to your sister, given time.

I went with a half-lie. "I'm an au pair," I said. After all, I was here, in a foreign country, babysitting a werewolf who didn't have a clue he was one because he grew up a human and was never told how to shift.

Mylo blinked. "An au pair?" His eyes briefly slid down to my muscular arms and chest. "That's... unexpected."

"Yeah," I agreed. "It was unexpected to me, too."

"Excuse me, sirs!" The woman behind the counter waved at us. "I have your room key now. Sorry for the wait."

"Oh, yeah, thanks." Mylo waved back. "I'll come get it!"

Mylo hopped up from his seat while I had to press my lips together to stop myself from snarling at the woman for interrupting our conversation. It was a good moment for her to speak up actually, even if I didn't like it. It prevented Mylo from asking more questions about my fictional job and how I got there. I hated lying to my mate. The less of that I had to do, the better.

Mylo walked to the lady behind the counter. He had agreed to share a room with me to cut costs, but we both knew that wasn't the reason we shared. Even if Mylo couldn't put it in words right now, he knew he wanted me around while I wanted to tell him to run.

Instead, I stood, grabbed my bag, and called the elevator in silence.

Mylo smiled and jiggled the keys in his hand with enthusiasm as he walked over to me. "Got them!"

I dipped my head in response and stepped aside to let Mylo into the elevator first. I entered after him. The doors closed, and after the first breath I took, I was immediately in trouble. In this closed-off space, Mylo scent was strongly present and made me lightheaded.

While I struggled to compose myself with trembling hands and my gaze averted, Mylo did no such thing. He stole sneaky glances that weren't at all sneaky, and his cheeks were still red. He was far too open with his feelings. Too clumsy. Too honest.

I already loved him for it. I was already imagining how much more deeply I could make him blush when I teased him. But none of his traits would serve him well once he was among werewolves.

I had never asked for a mate, but if I had to imagine meeting them, I would have wished for it to go differently. We would've been like we are now, flustered and on our way to a room where we could get to know each other. It would've been an innocent new love budding, not this. Not knowing that soon, I would have to fulfil orders and take him into danger.

It wasn't too late. I could still give him a choice. Let him leave, or flee with him. I breathed out through my mouth and allowed myself one look at Mylo, who still liked me now. One more moment of stalling. Once we reached the hotel room, I'd decide.