Seven - Walk Home

Leaving the building, you were practically smacked with cold air. You silently thank Vanessa again for allowing you to take the large hoodie home with you, as without it, you were sure you would've gotten hypothermia. You snuggled further into the hoodie and began walking in the direction of your apartment complex, grateful for it being a few blocks away. Despite being in a highly populated area, the rent was fairly cheap.

You peeked into every alley you went by, trying to find a specific cardboard box. You eventually found it, a soft smile on your face. You felt bad for making him wait so late, but he was the one who shoved a help wanted poster in your face, so it was in a way his fault. You cringed at the thought, thinking about how rude it sounded. You shook the thought away, moving closer to the box. You stopped once you were next to it, tapping the top of it a few times.

Almost immediately, a head of fluffy brown hair popped out from underneath, turning to face you with a large smile. "Y/N!" He immediately crawled out from under the box, stumbling a little as he stood up and hooked his arms around you, pushing his face against you. You chuckled as you ruffled the boys' already messy hair. He pulled away, looking up at you and showing the scratch on his face. "How did-"

"Gregory, you hurt yourself again!" You interrupted him, getting down on your knees and pulling out a box of bandaids from your bag.

"Y/N, I'm fine! It's just a little cut, it'll heal-"

"Gregory, hush." You removed the coverings on the bandaid, gently placing it onto the boy's face. "There. Now leave that on there for a while, alright?" He groaned and muttered something under his breath. "What was that?"

"I said thanks. And I will." He crossed his arms, looking away from you with a pout on his face. You shook your head with a sigh. You stood up, reaching a hand out to the boy.

"C'mon bud, you can stay with me tonight."

He immediately looked up at you, brows slightly furrowed. "But it's not raining?"

"You haven't eaten though, have you?"

The boy's face flushed, and he stammered on his words, not wanting to admit that he needed help. "W-well, I, uh-" You lifted your brows, looking at him with a smug expression. "Ugh! Fine!" He practically slapped his hand into yours, shoving his free hand into the pocket of his shorts as he followed after you.

You chuckled again, leading the way to your apartment. As you made your way throughout the complex to the third floor, you could feel the gaze of people you passed by. Some would nod towards you in recognition, while others had confusedly stared at the boy next to you. You knew they were wondering why you were bringing a young boy into the apartment, while others knew that it was because you'd help the boy out when he needed, and that it would often happen, despite how much Gregory denied it.

He both liked and disliked the people in the apartment. He disliked the judging stares from the kids his age, and hated the way that the elderly would dote on him whenever he'd come by. He did however, like that they'd sometimes make him clothes or blankets he could use when he was outside. He was grateful that you were well acquainted with some of the people in the complex, as they recognised him and would offer things to him.

The two of you stepped into the elevator, hands still intertwined. You pressed the button for the third floor and watched as someone around your age burst into the building, clearly out of breath. They looked upwards to the elevator and gasped when they saw it closing. "Hold the elevator!" They yelled out, urging themself to jog to the other side of the lobby to where you were.

Gregory stared at the person in slight shock and confusion, while you quickly put your hand on the sliding doors, stopping it from closing before the stranger could enter. They heaved as they finally reached the inside of the elevator, leaning against the pole as the doors behind them slid to a close. "Tha... Thank you..." They managed to speak between breaths.