Chapter Thirteen

Lesser faeries and High Fae congregated in a way I'd never seen. Everything I'd come to know seemed like a dream, for this blew all expectations. I couldn't remember the last time I'd seen so many beings in one place. I blinked, my lips slightly separated, with air moving slowly between them with each breath. A middle-aged high fae stared at me, his dark eyes narrowed with my presentation. He whispered to the white-haired and light-eyed male next to him. His clear blue eyes caused my breathing to stop as if the air around me was ice cold.

"Don't stare," Rainer whispered, his nose lightly running over the soft skin on my neck. "They are below you now."

"I don't want anyone below me," I whispered, softly to keep the conversation between us. His hand trailed over my chin, bringing my face to his. The hazel eyes burned with ambition, diving deep into my soul. His lips curled into a smile, flashing his white teeth.

"Don't lie to me. You are just as power-hungry as I am. And you enjoy using males, like myself, to get you ahead. You'd be nothing with us."

"That's not true," I scolded, before holding my tongue.

"You are drawn to power. Rhysand. Cassian. I'd even bet you've thought of Azriel when you lay alone at night."

"Stop it," I whispered. "You'll get us killed. Or worse." His smile changed, growing in smugness.

"There is only one male who knows what we speak of because he's infiltrated your mind. And he may have the others fooled, but I grew up with him. I know what he's like, and I know what he can do." Rainer's eyes softened, but I could see the possession lurking deep in them. "And I want to make it clear, if he lays a hand on me," he chuckled a lover's chuckle as if I'd whispered sweet nothings to him, "I'll send him your heart."

The growl seemed to echo through the halls, but no one stopped their activities, as if I was the only one to hear it. I kept my eyes on him, not willing to look away at this point.

"Perhaps Cassian should receive your head as he's so fond of you." I stared blankly at the male whose hand ran up my thigh mindlessly, acting as I assumed a good fiancé would. "Look at him now, running his hands over the vermin that have plagued our lands."

Rhysand sat comfortably, his legs spread wide as a young female danced before him. She was beautiful, straight from legend while she ground on him with similar clothing Rainer had me wear in Strongfair. His hand smudged the light paint along her flank and arm. But his eyes were glued to us, the deep violet shining through the darkness. They narrowed as I looked at him, his chest rising suddenly. The female looked in my direction, her eyes empty and sunken in.

"He's not a male you should associate with. He's drugged her, forced her to act like this. Surely you can sympathize with the woman after what he did to you."

Don't say a word. And don't hold your gaze. She is watching, he warned. I looked back at Rainer, his face stern as he looked over the fae gazing at us.

"I only want you," I lied. "I have no interest in any of them." He placed his lips on my forehead, lightly placing his hand over my womb.

"Appeal to her," he harshly whispered, as my eyes slid to the Dias. Tamlin did not move and Amarantha sat tall beside him. But my gaze quickly moved behind them, to the tall dark-skinned male with golden eyes. His brow furrowed while he blinked slowly.

He seemed frozen in my gaze, so unlike the others who stared. He abruptly broke the stare, moving through the crowd that had assembled, being lost rather quickly. No one dared approach me, no one dared to speak loudly about me. They simply watched and waited for my impending slip-up.

No one has made it this far. Usually, the females are strung from the ceiling to endure weeks of torture while her male escort is gutted immediately. That is why they stare, they are wondering what makes you different to her.