Chapter Three

For the next week or so, every morning when I'd emerge, Cassian would be waiting in the shadows nearby. He'd embedded himself into my morning activities, the ones away from watchful eyes. He remained here, much to the irritation of the camp males, especially Rainer's father. But I didn't mind so much. Rainer had not come to my bed over the last week, to my relief. Of course, it would be shorted lived. He didn't want to risk spilling any secrets to Cassian and the tension and hate flowing between the males was evident throughout the camp.

They were opposites, while Rainer was vile, cruel, spoiled, and violent, Cassian was kind, empathetic, and protective. Or so it seemed as I'd yet to see him raise his sword or threaten to gut anyone, save his first night.

"Good morning," Cassian yawned, walking with me to the edge of camp.

"Late night?" I probed, looking ahead at the mass of pine trees. He shrugged, keeping conversation to a minimum. "Hopefully you pleased her," I shot at him.

"Jealous?" His lips spread into a feline grin. I rolled my eyes, taking the first step into the forest. "There's no female," he yawned once more. "You'd know if there was." I stared blankly at him, watching his eyes burn with playfulness in the morning, "I'm not in the habit of keeping them quiet." I scoffed, continuing to walk through the downed brush and snow. He took large steps behind me, following me from the Camp.

"What do you think you're doing?" I called, continuing to walk.

"Following you," he admitted nonchalantly, matching his pace to me.

"Well, stop."

"I thought you'd be thanking me," he chuckled. I paused, swallowing dryly, thinking over all the times Rainer had me thank him. All the times he'd stood over me and forced his cock into my mouth as thanks for a minor kindness. Like agreeing to leave me be during my cycle, from sex that is. Or helping to bath my bruised and broken body after one of his episodes with the finest perfumes and oils in the camp.

"I don't want to do that," I spat, trying to hold my body together. Cassian scanned over me, his brows furrowed with the outburst. I continued to take light steps, moving away from the General and any thoughts he might have in his head.

"How does he have you thank him?" He questioned, a hint of grief in his tone. I ignored the question, continuing my walk. The silence must have tipped him off because he landed before me with sadness in his eyes. "You never have to do that with me." I scoffed, walking around him. "You should never have to do that to anyone."

"I'm just trying to live through this. I'd never survive out here," I motioned to the surroundings. "And my mouth and sex keep him wanting me. It keeps me safe. I don't even know where I am," I finally admitted to someone other than Rainer. "He keeps me so isolated, even if I could leave, I wouldn't know where to go."

"Strongfair is one of the most ruthless camps in the Mountains. And the Illyrians in this region are known for disregarding their orders." I paused, looking at the giant tree from earlier, silently praying Cassian would leave me be. "Someone must be looking for you," he added quietly. "Perhaps, I can send a message."

"Why would you do that?"

"You shouldn't be here," his response was flat and quick.

"No one is looking for me," I spoke quickly. At least I didn't expect them to be looking for me. At this point, I'm sure my family assumed I was dead. Or something horrible had happened to them.

"Where are you from?" He probed further. I held my tongue, blankly staring at him. Now noticing small details I'd missed with our past encounters. The dark scruff covering his face added a rugged look to the general, the red siphons sitting on each wrist, glowing in the daylight. Two. His hands were battle-worn, yet soft unlike the males here.

"Nowhere."

"Everyone is from somewhere," he added, his voice flowing with compassion.

"Not everyone."

"Will you answer one of my questions?" He crossed his arms, taking in every detail of my body language.

"I'll make no promises." He sighed, looking up at the large tree.

"Did you get the present?" My face was blank, looking at the large Illyrian gazing up to the sky. "It's how you've made it this long, isn't it? The roots of this tree?" My eyes softened, following his gaze upward, taking in the gray clouded sky.

"Only the new shoots. The old ones are too thick to chew." He hummed, looking at the small circle of exposed land.

"It's what you were doing the night I met you, isn't it?" I nodded, diverting my eyes. "You needed more."

"He wants me to bear him a child. But I don't want to." The chilled winter breeze danced around us, small flurries falling from the sky. "The youngling would be a bastard. And I've seen what happens to bastard children here." Cassian remained neutral, only giving a small nod of understanding. As if he could imagine the pain I'd seen from these children. No doubt he'd been bred to be the general, probably didn't have to work a day in his life to survive.

"I can only imagine," he stated, holding his head high. I shivered, falling to the ground and moving the snow, praying more roots would be there. "Let me," he barked the order.

"No, I can do it." I protested, moving the snow. He reached out mere millimeters from touching my skin. "No!" I barked, scurrying from him. "Don't do that."

"I'm sorry," he raised his hands, moving slightly from me. I blinked, unsure how to respond to his admission of guilt. The first admission I'd heard since I came here. "I won't touch you, but you're cold. Please, let me help you," he begged from his knees. He lifted the thick tunic from his torso, his eyes not leaving mine. He urged it towards me, "Put it on." I took the rough thick fabric and slid in. It smelt of him, the scent of old leather, embers, mixed with the cold wind. He removed a dagger, plunging it into the ground. We sat in silence as he dug, the heat from his body turning into a fine mist around him in the cold.

"Why are you helping me?" I finally burst out, still watching the male dig through the frozen ground.

"You needed it." A simple answer, but also not one I wanted to hear. I didn't want to be helpless, and as much as I appreciated his assistance, I knew it would only get me into trouble later on. I'd have to scrub his scent from my skin tonight. Rainer would want to know every detail of our conversation, every tone, and every look exchanged between us. He'd want to know where I'd let him touch me, and worse, if I liked it. Rainer would not have given me up so easily to this male without an underlying plan. Cassian groaned, sheering through the roots before handing them to me. "This should get you by till I return next."

"You're leaving?"

"I've already overstayed my welcome."

"You weren't that welcomed," I chuckled, smiling slightly. He flashed a grin, winking quickly.

"Exactly. And I imagine my return won't be looked upon with favor."

"Then why return?" He stood, brushing the snow and dirt from his torso, his elaborate tattoos decorating his chest, abdomen, and upper arms.

"I have my orders," he teased.

"So you won't tell me?" I asked, genuinely curious as to why he'd risk coming back to a place that oozed malice for him.

"So you can tell Rainer? Absolutely not," he smirked, "I know him better than you think I do. And I know what he will ask of you." He paused, his smirk disappearing, "And for your safety you had best tell him the truth. That I will return. Tell him the Spymaster will accompany me in time. He'll know what it means. And, fair warning, he won't be pleasant when he hears it." I nodded, watching him leave me in the cold morning. "Laelia?"

"Yes?" I questioned.

"Windhaven is dead south of here. If you can make it there, I would be able to ensure your safety. But you never heard that from me," he smiled just slightly. I returned the smile, watching his wing flare before he disappeared to the sky.

The smile ripped from my face, realizing he'd left me in this horrid place.

Strongfair.