Chapter 49: Emerald Sustrai

Start from the beginning

"She's succeeded. Watts?"

Arthur Watts came running. He took Cinder's body and was instructed to heal her. He ran off. Salem motioned at Toga, who glowed like Cinder.

"You've succeeded as well." Salem noted.

When she motioned at Emerald, nothing happened.

"What happened?" She asked.

"I killed Vernal, just like how Cinder said to. But she didn't have the powers at all." Emerald explained.

Salem nodded.

"It's not unlike Ozma to set up something like that; perhaps someone even tricked him."

Emerald breathed a deep sigh of relief. Cinder and Salem both agreed she was innocent of failing. Salem began to look over her new followers.

"My name is Salem, the Witch. I've roamed the world for many millennia. I was created by the long-forgotten God of Darkness, who gave me power over his precious Grimm when he left. To follow me means a certain victory. To disobey or fight me will lead to your demise. I've heard many tales of you. I trust that you seven are willing to serve me."

"If we help you, what's in it for us?" Stain asked. "Because I've got some justice to serve."

"And I want to be with the people I love!" Toga put in.

"I serve no one but my master." Shigaraki stated.

Salem glared at them. If looks could kill, the villains would be smoldering.

"It's important not to lose sight of what drives us: Love, justice, reverence. But the moment you put your desires before my own, they will be lost to you. This isn't a threat; this is simply the truth. The path to your desires is only found through me."

The villains looked uncomfortable and unconvinced.

"It is thanks to me that your little blonde friend has been given incredible powers. Would you like to show them?" Salem asked, staring at Toga.

Toga smiled. Pink fire erupted from her eyes and feet as she started to levitate. Two columns of fire blasted from her palms. The villains jumped back in shock.

"I know most of you walk this path because you recognize the problems in a world of heroes. I wish to wipe the world clean of such problems and create a new one, one where you all will be powerful leaders. I can give you powers such as my new maiden and power over others. All I ask is that you bow down to me."

Toga landed and bowed. There was a bright flash, and Toga stood up. There was a small scar on the back of her hand shaped like an S. Emerald couldn't help but look down at her own symbol of servitude. Reluctantly, Mr. Compress, Twice, Spinner, Dabi and Stain followed. Shigaraki still looked upset.

"I cannot betray my own master. I swore to serve him and only him." He complained.

"All for One is part of my group. To serve me doesn't mean you don't serve him. Emerald and Mercury work for me under Cinder. You will work for me under All for One. Now, I don't advise testing my patience much more."

Shigaraki thought for a moment, then bowed slightly. The S appeared, and he fell to his knees, crying at his perceived betrayal. Salem placed her hand on his head.

"This is what your master wants you to do. He asked for this." She assured him.

Shigaraki calmed down, and the doors opened again. Salem ushered them to the conference hall. Salem sat down on her elegant throne, carved from dark wood and decorated with black velvet and rubies. The other seats were all carved with lighter oak. Emerald sat in her seat, decorated with emeralds. Mercury's had a metal emblem on it. Watts was in his own chair which had a brass lining. The two other members of Salem's inner circle were there, Hazel and Tyrian. Tyrian smiled evilly at the new arrivals, while Hazel sighed. All for One was also there, sitting in a new chair with onyx decorations. Cinder's chair, with its gold decor and red velvet lining, was empty. Emerald had been graciously seated across from Cinder, letting her gaze into her fiery yellow eyes as much as she wanted. Now Emerald had to trust Salem would take good care of her. There were more seven new seats, none of them with any decorations. Where once Emerald and Mercury had been the only people on the right side of Salem, now there were five plain seats next to them. Stain and Toga were allowed to sit on the left side as a sign of their power. Dabi sat across from Tyrian, Mr. Compress across from Hazel, Shigaraki across from All for One, Spinner across from Stain and Twice across from Toga. Salem looked pleased.

"Do we get cool stuff on our chairs?" Toga asked.

"Of course." replied Salem.

Salem snapped her fingers, and ornate details formed on each chair. Silver for Stain, garnets for Toga, sapphires for Dabi, peridots for Spinner, diamonds for Shigaraki, amber for Mr. Compress and obsidian for Twice. They all looked pleased.

"Our mission is to gain control of the spring and winter maiden powers, along with the quirk one for all. The spring and winter maidens are currently unknown to us, but one for all is possessed by Izuku Midoriya. Our fourth target is Ruby Rose, a young silver eyed warrior. I would like you to bring these four people alive." She explained.

She dismissed them all with the orders to rest in the Evernight Castle, assuring them their rooms were set up.