Chapter 24

Elwin woke refreshed and ready for a day of relaxation. Chandrelle's family agreed to the terms of the agreement. Now Chandrelle was officially engaged to marry Calion. After the family and Chandrelle retreated to the guest accommodation last night, Elwin wandered into his office. He pulled back the wall and looked at the images. Chandrelle was now connected to Calion. There was still a line near Elwin. It would not disappear until Calion was married.

For now, this was enough. It meant that he could pay Calion his stipend, and his brother would not suffer the ramifications of going against the decree.

Elwin knew that he'd lost sight of that. He blamed Maylin for it. If she wasn't here, he would not have done anything that risked his brother's acceptance. She almost caused Calion's fall. In fact, she almost made the entire Rochester family fall.

The thought darkened Elwin's mood for a moment but it fell away when he stopped at the balcony and looked down at the entrance hall. Chandrelle was dancing with Aleph. He had his feet on hers and as they held hands, Chandrelle turned him around. The boy was laughing, and it made Elwin happy to see that she fitted in so effortlessly.

"My turn," Corwin announced.

Elwin began walking down the stairs, watching as Corwin's hands wrapped around Chandrelle's waist. His hands began to lower.

"Ahem."

Corwin glared at his eldest brother.

"Behave yourself. You are a Rochester and we do not fondle women, especially ones that will marry our brother."

Corwin rolled his eyes, muttering that he was a killjoy. Elwin watched the boy storm into the dining hall, then offered an uneasy smile to the lovely lady at his side.

"It's alright," Chandrelle offered. "I know that he's at that inquisitive age."

"It is not an excuse but thank you all the same. Gentlemen do not paw at women."

Nalan skidded on the floor, looking at Elwin with anxiety.

"A word if you don't mind, my lord."

"Of course."

He turned to Chandrelle with a smile.

"Breakfast will be served in the dining hall soon. You and your parents are welcome to join us."

Chandrelle nodded, leaving Elwin and his assistant to search for her parents. She last saw them in the garden with Lady Rochester.

Nalan scuttled into the study, waiting to drop a bomb that Elwin was not going to like. Elwin walked in, and Nalan nodded at the door. After closing it, Nalan looked at it again.

"Really?"

The assistant nodded and waited. Perspiration trickled down his temple as his fingers tapped at the newspaper in his hand. He usually left it on the hall stand where Elwin would pick it up when he was ready to read it. Not today, though.

Warily, he held out the newspaper.

"Did the notice make it into the paper in time?"

"Yes," Nalan whispered.

Elwin narrowed his eyes, taking the newspaper.

"I assume it didn't make the front page."

"No."

"Well, that's rather rude."

Nalan nodded, stepping back as Elwin walked to his desk. He flicked open the paper and looked at the front page, stopping abruptly. It felt like his heart had stopped as he looked at the banner headline and the large picture that consumed a third of the page.