Chapter 20

Elwin stopped, taking a moment to linger in the incredible sensations. Then it was time to deal with Ashlee. Gripping her, Elwin pulled her back. Ashlee gasped. Her eyes widened.

"When did she get to you?" he whispered in her ear.

"What are you talking about?"

He could hear the fear in her voice. Elwin was no fool, at least not lately he wasn't.

"Was it Kendall or Heather that sent you here?"

"I don't know who they are. Let me go."

Elwin did as she asked but turned Ashlee and pressed her to the widest wall of tiles. One finger ran up her spine, finding the junction that sat in line with her ribs. The other hand soon found the second junction between her shoulder blades. Pressing deep into her skin caused Ashlee to groan, but the large wings emerged.

They curved towards Ashlee when the wings hit the wall. Elwin stepped back and looked at the wings as Ashlee turned. She closed herself off, fearing what was going to happen now that the truth was revealed.

"You're a southern highland fae, but it appears that you've got a trace of the east in you," Elwin said as he ran his finger over the curved tip that protruded from the radius.

"What do you want from me?"

Her arms covered her chest as if Ashlee thought it would hide the obvious.

"Well, I want to know why you're here."

"Sex. Your brother said that you wanted a one-night stand. That's what this is. Why are you acting weird?"

"Having spent a lot of time dining in five-star restaurants, I know what to expect from the wait staff."

Elwin removed the condom, cleaning the contents out. He tried not to be paranoid, but now that it was obvious that either Kendall or Heather were targeting him, he wasn't prepared to take risks or make mistakes.

Flicking off the water, Elwin grabbed a towel to wrap around his waist. He held one out to Ashlee. She retracted her wings and took the towel with a soft murmur of gratitude.

"I ignored it with the belief that you were probably new. Then I saw that you tried to hide the marks of your wings with the tattoo. So, what's your deal, and how much did they pay you?"

Ashlee frowned, shaking her head. Elwin could see that she was going to pretend that it was just a coincidence, but he knew that they didn't exist in his world. The pieces were slowly falling into place. This puzzle was still waiting to be solved, but Elwin was beginning to see the bigger picture.

It was probably Kendall's grandfather's plan. He didn't think that Kendall had it in her to stoop so low, but then, their demise was pretty brutal and unexpected. Maybe this was her plan and had little to do with her grandfather. Elwin figured that she probably didn't take a step without consulting him first.

"I will push you out into the hall without the towel."

To ensure she knew how serious he was, Elwin grabbed her elbow and dragged Ashlee out of the bathroom.

"Okay," she cried out. "A woman approached me just after you ordered your meal."

"This woman?"

Kendall was still on his lock screen. He hadn't gotten around to changing it. That would definitely change after tonight. Elwin had no idea what he'd replace it with, but he'd figure something out.

"Yeah, that's her. She said that needed evidence of some sort. Suggested that after sex, I drugged you and took some photos. I didn't want to, but she offered me a lot of money."