Chapter 22

Calion spent the rest of the day and the night thinking about what he wanted. He also took into consideration the women and decided that talking to them would be ideal. There was no point in going any further if they didn't want the same things as he did. Calion decided to start with Chandrelle, who was at the front of his mind when he thought about the future.

During the evening, when he was still in the common area with the women, he could feel his interest in Maylin flow through him like waves. He'd focus on her and become obsessive. Then one of the other women would do or say something and his thoughts would break. In those moments, he knew that Maylin was hitting him with pheromones. It had to stop, and he was annoyed that she was doing it. He didn't want a life where that would happen constantly. His mind was not his own when she attacked him like that.

Before the women emerged for breakfast, Calion left the guest accommodation and returned to the main house. The place was quiet, aside from the staff who were in the kitchen preparing for breakfast.

Calion wanted to talk to his mother. There was a thought in his mind that he knew she would agree with and help him complete the plan that was forming.

Rising to the top of the stairs, Calion turned to his mother's quarters. It had been the standard layout for many years. She had the large section at the end of the long corridor with four rooms either side. Three bedrooms for the youngest children and a small playroom. When they were older, they'd progress to another section of the manor house.

"You can't go in there."

Calion stopped and looked at Aleph, who was sitting on the floor with a wooden animal in his hand. Stepping closer, Calion stood at the threshold of the playroom. Corwin was on the far side, sitting in a pile of pillows with a comic book. Inwardly, he smiled. It was the gift that Elwin had brought back for him to give to Corwin. Elwin told him that Corwin was fascinated by them and was always asking him to bring more home for him to read.

"Where is your nanny?"

"With mummy. They're having a meeting."

Calion's eyes darted from the boy that didn't understand to the boy that quickly hid his smirk behind the comic book.

"Is that so?"

"Do you have a problem with it?"

Calion gasped with fright, turning to Elwin, who had snuck up behind him.

"No, of course not."

Aleph pushed the animals aside, jumping up with the demand that Elwin carried him to breakfast.

"You have two feet that are working perfectly fine."

"I like piggyback rides."

"How about you let Calion give you a ride?"

Aleph looked at his older brother and shrugged. Elwin picked him up, not waiting for an answer. Calion gasped as the tiny arms latched tight around his neck. Elwin smiled.

"Your future,"

"Thanks," he rasped.

"Breakfast Cor. Go wake Johan."

As Elwin continued to his mother's bedroom door to knock, Cal moved down the corridor towards the stairs.

"I know they're not having a meeting," Aleph whispered.

"Oh?" Cal inquired cautiously.

"Nanny Mea loves mummy as much as I do."

"Well, that's not hard. Mother is a wonderful woman."

"How come you never come home?"

"Because,"

Calion considered his words and knew to be wary. The boy was still too young to know the truth about the monster that was their father.