Chapter 16

Elwin didn't make a habit of telling many people of his day to day habits, not because he feared the consequences but because he didn't think it was necessary. His time was his own. It was why he could slip in and out of the building without anyone saying a thing about his untimely return. He could even bring his brother in to help him prepare for the sale of the company.

Kelleck decided to keep Elwin company until he returned for Corwin's birthday. After that, he hadn't decided. Kelleck wouldn't admit it, but their mother had asked him to keep Elwin close to ensure that he didn't venture down a dark path. He didn't know what she meant by that, but Kelleck figured that it was the book that had Elwin's mood all over the place. He'd never seen him so distracted.

As they walked through the lobby, Elwin's gaze darted around, searching for Kendall. Elwin hadn't seen Kendall in the days since his return, but then he didn't expect to. She always made plans for the season, often choosing to go skiing in Aspen. Kendall loved the place so much that she had a house there. Elwin hadn't seen it. There were always plans to go there before or after he left for Merah, but it never eventuated.

As they entered the elevator, Elwin knew that there wouldn't be a chance in the future either. A heavy and remorseful sigh escaped Elwin. His head tilted back against the cold glass as the doors shut. Elwin wanted to tell Kendall that things were changing for him, and he desperately wanted to do it in person, but there was one slight hiccup in his plan. He had no idea where the house was. There might be a chance that he could get through to her on her phone but that was not what he wanted. In person, not over the phone.

Like the world heard him thinking about phones, Elwin's began ringing. It was his attorney, the man that he'd spent many hours talking to over the past few days. Joe had found him a buyer for the company. As crazy as it seemed to Elwin, someone had made an offer over what he wanted and was eager to get things done quickly. It's why Elwin had spent the past couple of days gathering all of the information that the buyer wanted to look at.

"Joe, what's happening today?"

"Many, many things, my friend. The purchaser has agreed to an outright sale, so once he goes through the paperwork, he'll come in for a quick look around."

"Sounds great."

"He's free Friday, which should give you enough time to get everything organized. How did the accountant go?"

"Done and dusted, ready to go for Friday. Is this guy likely to sign the purchase agreement this quickly, though?"

"Buddy, I came in this morning, and my assistant handed me the letter of offer from this guy. Makes me think that you undervalued yourself here."

"It's fine."

"Good. Once the funds are through, I'll organize the transfer. How's Cal's find a wife hunt going?"

"According to my mother, he's making progress which is vastly different from when he first stormed into my office."

Joe chuckled, having already heard about that saga. He was the one that Elwin first spoke to when he found out about the decree. If there was anyone that knew fae law, it was Joe. Like Elwin, Joe split his time between the fast-paced life of Earth and the relaxed holidays in Merah.

"Well, I have it on good authority that he's one of many Rochester's that are hot-headed."

"You're hilarious."

The doors opened to a quiet floor. There would be a few people around, but not many. Elwin had to get a few records from Kendall's office, and then he'd continue to his own floor for many hours of paperwork.

"Still good for lunch?"

"Yes, bring something with you, and we'll go through everything that I've gathered so far."