"Sounds like a plan."

The two said goodbye as Elwin and Kelleck walked through the twentieth floor. As he approached Kendall's office, Elwin frowned at the sight of the door in front of him. It was open a fraction.

When she went on leave, Kendall always shut the door. She would lock it and give the key to the floor manager in case it was needed. Kelleck was about to say something when Elwin raised his finger to his lips, gesturing for him to be silent. Together, they crept towards the door.

Like the day when Heather was in this office, Elwin could hear someone moving papers, typing on the computer's keyboard, and answering the phone when it rang.

"I told you to never ring me on this number."

Elwin stared at the door. Kendall was here.

Dread began to rise swiftly within Elwin. He wondered if his mother was right. Was he being deceived by Kendall? Has it always been this way?

"I know that I'm on a limited timeframe. You should have told me you wanted the information before he left for Merah. I can't get into his office once he leaves."

There was silence as Elwin tried to burn the door down with his death stare.

"What do you mean he's back?"

Elwin's eyes widened, and he scrabbled for his phone, turning the volume down. He did not what to be caught by the stupid thing.

"Why is he back? Elwin never returns when he leaves for winter."

Kendall let out a dramatic huff.

"Fine. I'll figure out a way to reconnect with him. You know, I wouldn't have to do any of this if your precious spy had done her job properly. She should have known that a lord and master employs Ravens."

She scoffed.

"Being a vampire is no excuse, grandfather. Heather was the lame horse in the race, she lost, and now you're pissed at me for no reason. It's not my fault she lost the damned book. I told her to make a copy of it, and she ignored me. How much information did she lose that we will never get back? How is any of this my fault? You know what fell down here? Heather wanted to get into Merah when she knew it wasn't possible. She's got her leader whispering in her ear that they want in and it's the only thing she was thinking about. I told her that when she started chasing after Elwin. It was never going to happen."

Kelleck looked at his brother, who was quietly seething.

"You shouldn't have made the agreement with the vampires. How am I going to get the book back?"

Kendall laughed mercilessly.

"Oh my god. You cannot be serious. I am not starting a new one. Why don't you make your precious spy figure out how to get it back? I've got better things to do."

A beep echoed loudly, then a groan as Kendall slouched into the leather chair. Hearing the chair roll out, Elwin knew that she was on the move. His eyes darted to his side, where there was a cabinet. Grabbing Kelleck, he dragged him to the side where they hid.

The door opened, and Kendall emerged. Her determined stride moved quickly through the long corridor, not seeing the two men hiding next to the filing cabinet.

"Now what?" Kelleck whispered.

"Now?" Elwin said as he stood upright. "Now, I make an enemy out of a lover."

"And an ex-employee. Don't forget that one."

"I need a good reason."

"So, I suppose that you'd be extremely happy if your favorite brother happened to record the conversation on his phone?"