Chapter 6

Calion climbed the stairs of the ancestral home. His mother stood at the top of the stairs with the younger brothers to her left and the heads of staff to her right.

"Darling, welcome home," Selene said as her arms widened.

Her arms wrapped around Calion, sensing the tension easily.

"Do not fret. You will meet someone wonderful. Elwin has taken great care to interview all of the women."

"Is that what they call it in Merah now?"

Selene narrowed her eyes with a playful smirk.

"Do you really think that your brother would fornicate with his future sister-in-law and create tension with you? Why do you think so little of him?"

"Now is not the time, mother."

Calion's eyes lowered to Aleph, who was clutching his mother's skirt. He was hidden behind her, wary of the man that he knew was another brother but one that he'd only met a few times. The attention turned to Corwen, who was almost ten, and Johan, who was fifteen.

It had always amused Calion that his parents only ever produced a child every five years. There were no alterations or unexpected pregnancies. Calion thought that they probably had sex once in the year, fell pregnant, and then went on to ignore each other for the next few months until the child was born.

Then, his father would acknowledge the child as his own, add the unlucky thing to the wall of the bequeathed, and return to his office for the next four years.

Calion could not recall a day when his father played with them, took them anywhere, and spoke to them as a parent and child. If they dared to misbehave, they'd be sent to his office for a dressing-down. The severity would depend on the situation.

All they had as children was their mother and the staff. Calion hated it as much as he despised this place. It's why he left when he was legally allowed to. Twenty years old, to be precise. The day after his birthday, Calion packed his bags, said goodbye to his mother and siblings, and then left.

The only time that he'd been asked to return was when his father died. When his mother appeared on his doorstep with an obviously lowered mood, Calion knew what had happened without a word said. Selene asked her son to return, if only for her sake. She knew that Barwin was not liked by many of his sons but Calion most of all. He'd never taken the time to get to know them and rarely spoke to them.

"Did you travel with Elwin?"

"No, I,"

Calion turned to see the servants rushing to help. Elwin had arrived and was already walking up the stairs. He greeted his mother with a kiss on her cheek and then ruffled Aleph's hair. The boy giggled, pulling in closer to his mother's legs. Whether he liked it or not, Elwin had become a father figure to the three boys that had lost their father so early in their lives.

Elwin figured that not one of them actually cared, but there was still a sadness that lingered deep within their hearts. Johan had coped reasonably well, but Corwin and Aleph took a little longer than any of them had expected.

The two eldest brothers looked at each other. Anger still firmly rooted in their minds, neither were ready to make peace.

"Perhaps afternoon tea in the drawing room?"

"Yes, my lady."

Elwin turned to follow the staff into the house. Aleph skipped beside him, already telling him about what happened at the estate in his absence.

Selene and Calion were alone. His mother reached out, gently rubbing his upper arm.

"It's going to be okay, my love. Elwin took great care in the selection. He wanted the best for you."