Chapter 36: Carter

Start from the beginning

The time on my phone reads 4 AM. Sadie had another nightmare tonight. She was thrashing under the bedsheets, alternating between mumbling and screaming. "Maddie, no! Maddie, please! I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to. I'm coming back. Please, please, I'm coming back!" Her anguished cries felt like a knife to my heart, and all I could do was gently ease her wake and hold her in my arms until she fell back asleep. I tried mumbling some words in French, trying to bring her back to the moment, to let her know that I was there. They seemed to calm her down. She's been asleep for an hour, completely still. I've checked her pulse a few times, just to make sure she's okay.

It's completely dark in our hotel room. And silent. I don't really know what it is about the dark that unnerves me. It's just so vast, like it can swallow you whole and you'd never know. My little phone light isn't doing much to ease my nerves, and I'm seriously considering reaching for the nightlight that Landon teases me profusely about. Just as I'm about to stand up on my shaking legs, I feel Sadie turn on her side, pressing her body up against mine. The warmth of her skin on mine and the sound of her now-audible breathing helps slow down my pulse. I take a deep breath. I am not afraid. I am not alone.

One night, I was closing the kitchen at my mom and dad's diner alone. As I was scrubbing a pan, all the lights went out. The logical side of my brain knew it was just a power outage–we were getting those often that summer. But the irrational side of my brain thought I was being attacked. I froze, the water still running in the sick. And then I felt a hand on my shoulder. I didn't think. I took the pan in my hand, turned around, and swung. It connected right with Graham's shoulder. After releasing a slew of curses–him–and yelling a bunch of apologies–me–the lights happened to turn back on. Graham had to take three weeks off work to heal his shoulder, and my punishment was to work everyday that he couldn't. Which meant twenty-one shifts in three weeks. The dark made bad things happen.

As I sink further under the curtains, trying to hide from the dark–as if that's possible–I replay that moment in my head. And that's when it hits me.

I know where I'm taking Sadie.

And it's somewhere I never thought I'd willingly return to.

Gracie is crying. Felix looks near tears. I think Sadie and I are minutes away from breaking down too. But we have trained stoic faces. And it takes a lot for them to crack in public.

It's 1 PM and we're all standing in front of Lux Inn, two cabs waiting. Our friends had meant to leave early in the morning to make it back to class in time, but they were both excused at the last minute. Sometimes, I forget that even Felix and Gracie go to different schools. Even though Felix started as my friend and Gracie started as Sadie's, they've drifted closer together while Sadie and I were getting to know each other. Really know each other. But, alas, we're all standing, surrounded by luggage, saying goodbye for who knows how long. We all have each other's numbers and have promised to stay in touch everyday, but it's still not the same.

Gracie and Felix's debate partners are in their respective cabs, probably annoyed by this long-lasting farewell.

Gracie loads the last of the luggage before turning towards the three of us. "Text. Every. Fucking. Day."

"Language," I scold.

She flips me off. "Promise?" She even raises her pinky.

"Promise," Sadie confirms, hooking her pinky with Gracie's.

"You guys are some of the best friends I've ever had," Felix says, his voice dripping in sincerity. "I love you guys."

"Oh, fuck," Sadie says, looking up at the sky and blinking her eyes quickly. "I love you guys too."