Chapter IV

I had never seen something more glorious. The castle's prestigious white brick walls and the delicate gold castles seemed like something out of a fairytale book I had read when I was younger. I was truly entering my fairytale. An escort named Cynthia had taken us to the area where The Report was filmed. Like the other Selections, they are making a documentary on our transformations from normal civilians to Daughters of Illea and ladies. 

"Now ladies, you will be given a makeover for our documentary. A team of highly trained professional beauty artists will be transforming you into proper Daughters of Illea." She said with a demanding and confident tone. I suddenly was grabbed by Cynthia and was taken to a station where another girl with brown hair was finishing up. As soon as she was finished, I was plopped down into a spinning chair and a woman named Becca came to up to me. 

"Well, aren't you beautiful? Well, uh... what's your name darling?" sad Becca as she spun me around in my chair so she could look at me. 

"Gwyneth Spade. And what exactly are you going to be doing to me...?" I said. I had to admit I was kind of nervous, even though I loved to play with my mom's makeup and be fancy.  Never had I had a traditional makeover.  

"Oh, don't worry just your nails, a haircut, maybe, and some makeup." Said Becca.

"Sounds good. Just please don't make me look like a clown." I said anxiously as Becca swiveled me around to face the mirror. The makeover was no joke. Becca and her team went right to work. First, we started with my nails. I had always kept my nails long after quitting a bad habit of peeling them so we didn't have to put extensions on them. They shaped my nails and fixed my cuticles and let me choose a color off a rack. I had never seen such a unique array of colors. They had everything from the darkest black to yellow as bright as the sun. I chose a rose gold pink with faint sparkles in it. Next came the hair. I had my father's brown hair color (according to my mom) and her wavy curls. I decided to add dark blonde highlights, 'just to give it a little more pop' as the hairstyles Sammy said.  They put my hair in a regal half up and curled in.  Finally was makeup, my favorite part. I said no thanks to the foundation because of reactions. We added some mascara, blush, and faint eyeshadow. I looked so beautiful. Then, what happened next was a total dream come true.

"Wait. We get to wear a dress for our pictures? Like a.." I made a motion that resembled a ballgown. Cynthia nodded and handed me the most beautiful gown I had ever seen. Ironically, it matched my nails. The dress was delicate and had a tulle skirt. The bodice had faint sparkles and jewels. I went into the changing room and carefully slipped on the dress. I had never felt anything like this before. Euphoric feelings rushed into my soul as I looked at myself in the mirror. The smile that I saw in the mirror had never been bigger. I put on the matching high heels and walked out feeling confident. "Ugh, why so smiley?" said a girl, clearly a two with way too much confidence.

"Hi, I'm Gwyneth Spayde from Columbia," I said, trying to neglect her unfriendly behavior as I reached my hand out to shake it.

"An eight I assume? Judging by how giddy you are." She said pull her hand away from mine. What made her so prejudice? What was her deal?

"Farrah Larks," she said chuckling. 

"Stay out of my way with me and Prince Nicholas." she said as she was called over for her 'after' shot. 

"Hey. Dont worry about her shes already butted heads with us. Im Devina Johnson from Whites." A tall girl with long light blonde hair and green eyes said as she came up to me. We shook hands and bonded for a few minutes over our love of books, music and movies. 

"Have you ever seen a movie?" said Devina curiously. 

"Only twice. I saw that one movie with Gal Mackinsey. It was so good!" I said right before I heard a voice in the distance. 

"Gwyneth Spayde? Please come over for a picture." I said goodbye to Devina and went to the shoot setup.

"Miss Spayde, we're going to interview you now if that's okay." Said a man behind a camera.

"Thats fine by me." I said while shrugging.

The man behind the camera cleared his throat and began the interview. "First of all what happened in your exquisite makeover today Miss Gwyneth?"

"Well, I got my hair, nails, and makeup done as well as some skincare. And this dress," I sighed a dreamy sigh.  " I just can't believe in wearing it!" I said with a chuckle. 

"Well that sounds great. Next question. What has this expierce been like for you?"

"A dream come true. I mean, that sounds cheesy, but I mean it. Also, a little overhwlemng at he same time. It all happened at once."

"And what about the girls so far?" said my interviewer.

"Well, most of them are kind and sweet. But I've only met a few girls. So, we'll have to see!" I said with a shrug.

"And what are your thoughts about your makeover?"

"I feel amazing! And that just really sums it up." I said honestly.

"And that's all Ms. Spayde. Thank you."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a  long hour waiting for everyone finishing up, I was finally escorted to my suite. The suit was enormous and super fancy. It came with possibly with biggest bed I've evener seen. The walls had mild pink wallpaper and gold and white accents with tall walls. Completed with a wide balcony, vanity, marbel bathroom that smelled like roses and a elegant desk.

"Wow. This is absurd! Its bigger then my house!" I said as I ran my fingers through my now down hair.  

"Uh miss..? We're you're ladies maids. Im Irene." said a woman with brown hair with small gray streaks. 

"Hi, Irene. Im Gwyneth." 

"Hello there Lady Gwyneth. Im Maxine." said one of my other maids who had strawberry blonde hair with freckles. Maxine seemed to be the youngest out of the 3 maids.  My last maid was holding satin fabric in hands and seemed to be on her way to make a dress by the sewing machine. "Im Jayne. Im so excited to be serving you while you're here." 

"Its lovely to meet you." I said after Jayne introduced herself and we chatted and got to know one another for a brief few minutes then Maxine and Jayne left for the night. 

"Irene?"

"Yes, dear?" Said Irene as she was folding day dresses in the closet.

"Why are Maxine and Jayne leaving? Dont you have the night off?" I said. Didnt Irene need to go to sleep? It was almost 11!

"Well dear, a maid is supposed to stay to stay in here while you sleep. Its just the rules. My dearest apologies."

"Oh no, its alright." I said with a smile. I got changed into a nightgown that was white and prepped myself for bed. 

I got back to my bed and tucked myself in. The satin sheets and goosefeather blanket were the most comfortable things I had ever felt. I closed my eyes. I felt like a princess and my fairytale was just starting.

a/n

hi! sorry for the long chapter! i hope you are enjoying the book so far! thanks for reading <3