Chapter V

The next day was possibly one of the biggest days of my life. I had gotten extremely early to prep myself for the sendoff. I put on makeup and wore the assigned outfits we'd been given. The outfit was bland. It consisted of a white top and simple black pants with our Province's flower. Columbia's flower was a yellow rose.  I used my mother's foam curlers again and styled my hair to look nice. I took my bag and left the house with my mother. I sighed and inhaled and exhaled. 

"Are okay Gwyn?" Said my mom as we rode over to the town square. 

I sighed one more time as I looked out the window. "Yeah, just a little worried. Well, just nervous more like." It was true. I had to admit I was nervous. Who wouldn't be? You're going away for a long time, maybe forever to possibly fall in love with the prince of a country with a chance of becoming the princess of that country! that thought is just slightly overwhelming.

"Don't worry about it, Gwyneth. They'll love you." my mom says as she plants a kiss on my forehead and holds me close. After a few more minutes, we finally arrive at the square, which is bustling with people, I exit the vehicle slowly. Cameras flash everywhere, nearly blinding me, and people yell 'Good luck!' from everywhere in sight. I move up to where the limo is with my mom slowly due to the crowd of Columbians. 

"Gwyneth?" My mom says right before I enter the limo

"Yes, mom?' i say with tears welling up in my eyes. I can see water filling up in my moms eyes as well.

"Make us proud." She says as the chauffer starts the car. 

"I will." I embrace her in one final hug and leave for the airport with the stings of salty tears running down my face.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally arrive at the airport to find that I was the last girl to arrive. One girl with chocolate-colored skin and beautiful braided hair that was tied into an elegant bun. I recognize her from trying to get an idea of the contestants' names but I can't quite place her name. 

"Gwyneth, right?" The girl says. 

"That would be me!" I say as I tuck a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

"I'm Wren Thatcher. I'm from Dakota." She says as she flashes a bright smile.

"Well, Wren, it's nice to meet you," I say as we shake hands. Another girl, a little older comes back from the corner where she is on her phone, chatting away.

"Hi there. I'm Kat Meyer from Atlin. You may know me from covers of Illea Weekly or Vouge." She says, her straight black hair was in her fingers, fiddling with it subtly.

"I knew it! You look so familiar! I'm a huge fan." Said Wren who was excitedly shaking Kat's hand.

"Uh, thanks...I guess?" Kat let out a chuckle and talked with Wren some more before the pilot called us aboard the plane to take our seats. The plane was luxurious. I'd been in a  plane once in my life. It wasn't much of a plane, more like a cargo plane to deliver something up in Yukon with my mom. It was the least expensive and all we could afford. But this plane was a whole other level. The cream walls and the soft leather seats that had the royal seal embellished on them with gold. During the flight, we got to know one another. Wren's family were 5 and lived as artists. Wren was a clay sculptor, along with her brother Soren and her parents who had been painters and had met at a gallery show. Kat was born to a family of wealthy 2's. Her father was a politician and currently the governor of Atlin. Her mother was a model like her daughter. I had seen her mother before on covers of magazines in the grocery stores and other shops but the resemblance was clear now. After a few rounds of delicate snacks such as refreshing salmon and cucumber bites and more, we had finally arrived at the Royal Palace of Illea.

I was finally here. It was a dream come true.