Chapter 15-Double and a Single

May 17, 2022

May 17, 2022

I wake up before James, who doesn't have to go do ranching duties today, and sneak out of bed and down to the kitchen. I start to prepare breakfast, turning on music to quietly listen to while I work. I hum to the music as I cook the bacon and pancakes.

I nearly drop the pancake that I'm flipping, when arms snake around my waist, startling me. "Jesus christ," I huff. "You can't just sneak up on people. I could've dropped the pancake," I pout, still working on the food in front of me.

James chuckles, kissing my cheek. "5 second rule."

"Eww, no. What are we five?" I say, plating the last pancake, before beginning on the eggs.

I nearly forget making breakfast completely as James trails kisses down my jawline, before moving my hair out of the way and continuing down my neck. "James," I whimper. He hums, continuing to trail kisses. "I can't focus when you're doing that," I say, not sure I want him to stop. He pulls back, kissing my head one last time before moving to the fridge and pulling out the orange juice.

"What do you wanna do today," I question, plating the eggs and moving to the living room with our plates.

"There is a farmers market in town, if you want to go. Tons of fresh, locally sourced produce."

"Sounds great. I need apples for the apple pie that I'm taking to next Sunday's dinner." James comes in, handing me a glass of orange juice with a kiss to my cheek, before grabbing his plate of food and sitting on the couch.

"I bet it will be delicious," he takes a bite of his food. "But I don't know if it can be more delicious than this right here," he hums with satisfaction.

"And that's where you are wrong. Apple pie is my grandpa's specialty," I smile.

"Thank you for breakfast," he pauses. "You know what?"

"Hmm?"

"I could get used to this."

I almost choke on my food. "Get used to what," I cough out, trying to get myself under control.

He pats my back. I take a few more seconds before giving him a thumbs up, telling him to continue.

"Breakfast every morning, a delicious dinner to come home to, then relaxing with a movie before bed. I never thought I would say it, but yeah, I kind of like it."

"Probably helps that I'm the one doing it with you," I joke.

He smiles, not responding. Wait, that was just a joke wasn't it? "I was wondering, since you know my full name, I think it's only fair that I know yours."

"Awww, feeling a little left out," I tease, hoping this time it's taken as it was meant to be. "Aloura Avianna Merritt."

"Huh..."

"What? Don't like it," I ask, a little nervous it will be true.

"No it's beautiful, but your initials. They are similar to mine. JJB and AAM. Double letters then a random letter."

"Oh, I guess you do have a point there," I smile.

"Does it have any meaning?"

"Aloura means 'my dream' and Avianna means 'powerful women' because my mom, and I quote, 'always dreamed of having a powerful, feminist daughter that will accomplish great things." I frown, knowing my mom would be disappointed in what I truly want in life.

James uses his finger the lift my chin, "why the frown?" His own frown evident.

"I don't know. I just feel like I'm disappointing my mom by not wanting to do big things in life."

"Come here," James moves our plates out of the way before pulling me into a hug. "Not wanting to pursue a career as much as wanting other things doesn't make you a disappointment. You may want different things in life, but I'm sure your mom is just proud to call you her daughter."

He pulls back to look me in the eyes, brushing my jaw with his finger. "You are the kindest, funniest, most compassionate person I know. You always look at the bright side of every situation and have made my life better, ten fold, in the short week that I've known you. You are anything but a disappointment and I'm sure your mom would agree if you gave her the chance."

Tears well in my eyes, but I refuse to let them spill, leaning forward to kiss him instead. "Thank you," I mumble against his lips. "I have no clue what I would do without you." And I mean it. James has taken what I thought I wanted in life and flipped it upside down, changing it forever.

He pulls back, grinning from ear to ear. "Let's finish up here and hit the road." I nod in agreement, feeling on top of this world.