17. Lazy Sunday ♔︎

Start from the beginning

"Since when are you so insightful?" She walked toward him to pick up the fresh sheets they were going to put on the bed. "You're only fifteen, where you get all this wisdom from?"

"You," he shrugged.

"I don't know bout all that," Monie scoffed.

"What you mean? You're the one who raised me, so where else it come from? And I think you did a pretty damn good job at it too."

And she really has. Marco helps Monie out with Ava without ever complaining about it. He's respectful, well-mannered, disciplined, has maintained an A average in his classes since the sixth grade, and finished his freshman year with a 4.0 while also playing on the varsity basketball team. If Monie has gotten anything right in her life, it's how she raises her kids.

"I think I did a good job too," Monie ran her fingers through his freshly cut curls. "Yuh know, besides the fact that you cuss like a sailor."

"If that's your only complaint when it comes to me, then you'll be aight. And you know, they say people who cuss a lot are actually more intelligent."

"Oh really? Then you must be the smartest muh'fucker on this planet."

"I know you're being sarcastic, but when my final grades and class ranking get released, we gone see just how true it is then."

"Aight, you got me with that one," Monie nodded her head. "You are smart as hell, I can't even lie."

"And so are you. You graduated high school with honors even with all the bullshit you was dealing with. Why you think Ava so damn smart too and she ain't even start school yet? You doing a better job at this parenting thing than you give yourself credit for."

"It don't feel like that most days."

"Monie, I promise we gone be fine. Just take a deep breath and relax."

"Alright, Marco-"

"I'm being serious. Take a deep breath."

"Marco," she just laughed.

"I'm not playing. That's what you always tell me when I'm stressed."

He took her hands in his own and looked down at her.

Monie decided to not be difficult and inhaled deeply, held it in for a couple of seconds, and then exhaled. And as stupid as it felt to be doing it, it really did feel good.

"We gone be okay Monie," Marco said again as he pulled his sister into a tight hug. And for the first time in his life, he actually believed that was true. "We gone be just fine."

"Thought that was my line?" Monie smiled up at him when she pulled away from his embrace.

"I figured you needed to hear it from someone else too."

"I don't know what I would do without Marco," Monie reached out for his hand again. "And I'm not just saying that. I'm being for real. And I feel like I should tell you that more, how much I love you."

"Alright now, don't get all soft on me, sis. I love you too, but don't expect to hear it again anytime soon."

"I'll take what I can get," she laughed. "I know you love me, even if you never say it. You're not as hard as you try to pretend to be."

"I don't pretend to be hard. I'm definitely a lover, and the ladies know it too-"

"Goodbye," Monie not so playfully pushed Marco away from her. "Now let's finish making this damn bed," she took the fitted sheet and threw it across the queen-sized bed so he could grab the other side of it.