chapter 23

Lily's pov

I understood what he was going on about, but to see him again, to see him just go was heartbreaking. Somethin kept telling me he wouldn't come back but he had to.
I threw on some jeans, a white top and a checkered long top over it. I grabbed my bow and arrow that I hid underneath my bed and slung it over my shoulder. I plodded down the steps and grabbed some cereal from the cubord. I looked over my shoulder to see Penny, streching her arms upwards and yawning. Her wild hair fell down to her ribs in little blonde curls like mine.
"Sit down let's do your hair." I put my cereal down and hopped off the counter. She nodded and slouched onto the chair and I pulled her hair into a French braid.
"Daryl went."
"I know." I tugged a little harder unintentionally, she winced a little.
"I thought after everything you guys would be having...fun." she blushed and I couldn't help but erupt with laughter, so did she.
"You are the strangest thirteen year old; height of a ten year old, with the mind of a fourteen year old guy." I put a hairband in and she got up and shrugged.
"What can I say? I'm amazing." I punched her shoulder lightly as she giggled and grabbed my unfinished cereal. I heard the door close and I spun around. To my surprise Daryl had come back in. His Dark brown hair was falling over his eyes, his muscular arms tense, jaw tight.
"Daddy Dixon!" Penny shouted and I shot her a glare and she muttered something under her breath before heading back to her food.
"You alright?" I asked him and he nodded. Daryl Dixon was a man of few words, he also mumbled like a pro.
"Breakfast?" I asked and he shook his head and headed into the lounge area. I took one look at Penny who shooed me away with her hands. I followed him and shut the door and leant against It as he sat on the sofa.
"You smell of smoke, you smoking again?" I asked a little bit disappointed. With all the death in the world I didn't know why he would increase his chances more of dying an early death, it seemed completely pointless too me.
"Yeah, what's it to you?" He mumbled and went to go light another one between his lips but I lunged forwards and hit the lighter out of his hands, it hit the ground and span across the room.
"What the hell?" he shot up from the sofa and his intimidating structure looked down on me again.
"Don't please, you promised."
"You promised you wouldn't leave me but you did..." he mumbled and turned to the window and I felt my heart break.
"I didn't plan it Daryl..."
"Yeah you did, you knew you may die."
"Stop shouting at me." I shouted louder and he poked my chest.
"What aren't you tellin me? Your girlfriend doesn't randomly come back from the dead!"
"Daryl calm down and I told you everything alright? God it really messed you up didn't it?"
"You think!" He scoffed and played with the knife he whipped out, his rough fingers holding it tightly.
Silence fell and I let the anger go out of me and dissipate.
"Daryl I didn't mean too...".
"Well you told me to look after her, you knew you may die-"
"-but I did it to save her, she's my family, you are too but she's my blood family." I told him while slowly getting closer towards him staring at the knife, he didn't even look at me as I looked pleadingly at his face.
"Y'all got into my heart." he muttered and I lay my hand on his stiff arm, at first I thought he might pull away but he stood perfectly still. He turned to face me and his eyes scanned mine,they were a gorgeous dark blue but with dark circles underneath them.
"Aren't you happy that I'm here now?"
"I don't think you are?"
"Huh?"i cocked my head and rest my hand on his rough cheek.
"How can you be here? I saw you die?"
"How can people die and come back as something else, a walker?" I answered back and he rolled his eyes.
"This is different."
"How so?"
"You're not one of them." He didn't look at me any longer. He glanced outside the window, the sunlight dancing on his face.
"I'm not gonna leave again, not for a long time and you better not either." He gave me a look I couldn't read. He was a mystery I could nether guess what he was thinking, he was completely different to everyone else I knew.
"Didn't think I would miss you that much woman" he smirked and I smacked him on the arm playfully.
"hey I know you're redneck but don't call me woman, just Lily."
I went onto my tiptoes and kissed Daryl on the lips gently, he began to lightly kiss me back and I heard him growl a little. He pushed me lightly off of him and began to lick his lips.
"Now scram jailbait, you've gotta talk to your sister."
I felt a flutter in my stomach.