1. new beginnings

This is another installment in the Treacherous Chemistry series, best read after Volatile. This story contains domestic abuse and is not for the faint of heart. If you want to skip it, I'd suggest going directly to Attraction--a story you can find on my page.

Toxic have been published, but as I have requested my rights back, I'm now able to reinstall this story on Wattpad. Updates will be frequent.

Christmas Eve—a day that should have been laced with anticipation and happiness, a day suited for hopes to be fulfilled.

I ran a hand through my hair, trying to forget the knot deep inside my stomach that twisted and turned as I walked along the empty hallway. Scattered Christmas lights cast a colorful glow over the linoleum floor, spreading warmth and rays of simple joy that allowed a precious sliver of peace to battle my nerves. Straightening my back, I marched forward with renewed purpose. I can do this.

Gabriel's door stood out from the rest, stark white amongst the others decorated with posters, messages and general clutter—the difference as striking as it was familiar. No one would have dared to mess with his stuff, not when he belonged to the football team and threw the occasional evil eye at those outside his close circle of friends. He was still in there. I'd checked from outside, seeing the window to my old student room alight and his shadow moving behind the curtain. The decision had been made. We owed it to each other to repair the friendship that had seen both of us grow up.

I stopped one tiny step away from the door, shifting my weight from one foot to the other. Before summer, we had shared this room and almost everything else—inseparable since that day he'd stood up for me in junior high.

Smiling, I recalled how everything had changed from one moment to the next. Gabriel had answered my bullies with a fierce uppercut, throwing a bleeding Doug into his group of admirers, who had made my life hell. The memory of seeing Doug scramble to his feet and dash away with the same fear that I'd battled for months gave me another boost of confidence.

My gaze traveled from the dark linoleum to the white door. The guy on the other side had once said I wouldn't have to be scared ever again. He'd taken my fears away and had made me a happier person. For years.

But nothing lasts forever. We'd finally encountered something our friendship hadn't been able to weather. I touched the small dent in the doorframe and felt the echo of pain throb against my eyebrow. The ache from that accidental shove I'd received the day he'd thrown me out had faded fast enough, but the rejection still stung. Months of nothing but cold shoulders had passed since June, something I planned to change if I could.

Come on. I can do this.

Chris, my new roommate, had tried to tell me that it hadn't been my fault, but I wasn't convinced. Telling your best friend that you're in love with them is a big deal, especially if you're two guys. Regardless of what had happened, I wanted Gabriel in my life even if he could never return my feelings. Our friendship was worth a lot more.

Holding on to the wrapped gift that I hoped would give me a second chance, I squared my shoulders and raised my other hand, knocking softly. I stepped back, listening for signs to give me a clue if he would open or not. No sounds, no steps. Time stretched until the metal handle finally lowered. I forgot to breathe while it moved.

The door clicked open. This is it. My heart thumped as the hinges whined.

Dark hair ruffled in disarray, brown eyes piercing beneath thick lashes, his nose showing signs of once being broken—he looked as tempting as ever despite his scowl.