chapter 9

Paris, baby –’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                ‘she’ll be okay, sir.’ The paramedic said.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              ‘Why did she black out like that? When will she wake?’                                                                                                                                                                                                        ‘Minutes, hours, days – we really can’t tell sir.’
If I lose her it’s my entire fault. Mine. This was the fourth day after the accident and she was still comatose. The doctor, his child hood friend had told him to go home that she’d be fine. Luis couldn’t leave her side. He couldn’t imagine that the bright, loving and compassionate woman he’d fallen in love with was lying on her back in limbo. Not knowing her surroundings. The bruises on her body were already beginning to fade little by little. He still held her hand in his. Come back please. Don’t go away. Don’t go towards the light. Come home to me. Carmella came in then, Chelsea at her left just as Luis dozed off. ‘Luis, go on home and I’ll stay with her.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                            ‘I can’t. I’ve got to stay.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                       ‘Papa, is Maman okay?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       ‘She’s fine darling.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Tracy came in then. ‘Carmella – ’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             ‘Take Chelsea for a drink, will you.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                            ‘Sure.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      ‘I want Maman.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           ‘She’s sleeping honey.’  Luis said. She came to her father then to hold his hands. ‘Papa, Maman is sleeping?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           ‘Yes darling. Go for your drink.’
‘She’s a beauty.’ Carmella said.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           ‘I know.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      ‘It’s just shocking that she’ll sacrifice herself for Chelsea.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Luis’s mind went back to the fat lady’s statement. ‘She must have been quarrelling with him, because she had this stubborn look on her face and I was just going to the carafe when I saw the truck. She wrapped herself around her baby. I have never seen such sacrifice. The love for her child is so strong.’ The police had told him to file charges against the drunken driver but he knew Paris would never want to do such to the poor old man. The man had been tired and had just lost his precious wife. He had no one in the world to care for him.
He looked at Carmella at that instant. ’I can’t afford to lose her Carmella. I love her so much.’                                                                                                                                                           ‘What really happened?’ Carmella asked looking at his eyes that looked so sad.                                                                                                  ‘Carmella not you too. I’m here condemning myself for her lying on her back, still, not being her normal joyful and cheerful self. I won’t be able to stand it if you too condemn me.’                                                                       ‘I’m not condemning you. I just want to know what happened. You never said what had happened.’                                                                                                                                                     ‘I promised Chelsea that I’ll take her out for a picnic and I did. The three of us went on to the beach and on returning she asked for ice cream. I said no. Paris thought that was not fair and handed her a cookie any way. I turned to scold her and see what my stupidity caused.’                                                                                                                               ‘I’ll pray every day dear so you won’t lose her. I know you love her, it’s written all over you. I’ll just go see the doctor.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     ‘Okay.’

Carmella allowed the two of them to stay by Paris’s side as long as they wanted to without any intrusion. About fifteen days after the accident Tracy asked her to her office. Carmella got to her office and she was obviously out. Carmella made herself comfy and decided to wait. Tracy came in a short minute later. ‘I’m sorry if I kept you waiting Carmella.’                                                                                                                              ‘It’s no tro –’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             ‘There are things I have found out about this girl here and it may put Luis in deep shit.’                                                                                       ‘What do you mean?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         ‘I don’t know if i should be telling you this. She is my patient and her mother is her emergency contact. I spoke with her and she can’t be bothered. She just asked that we do our best for her. I’ll tell you but you are not to tell him. I don’t think she wants him to know, though.’                                                                                                                                             ‘That may be true, I have tried my best to contact someone from her family but ‘tis not working out.’                                                                                                                                           ‘Luis is in love with a liar.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                ‘A beautiful one. Cut the chase. Tell me what she’s lying about.’                                                                                                                                                                                    ‘Her age. She’s eighteen.’                                                                                                                                                                                                        ‘That’s cool.’                                                                                                                                    ‘You sound like you already know.’                                                                                                                  ‘I make it my business to know. It is part of who I am. I asked HR to send me her file. She looks promising, looks like she’d be good for him. When is the mother arriving?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            ‘Her mother waived her rights. She has sent the documentation needed that gives us the authority to do as we can for the patient. I however know from her gynaecological records that she was not sexually active as at two months ago, she has been with Luis for about a month now right?’ Carmella nodded. ‘And if what I am seeing is correct, it means that he is now responsible for her, since he was with her when she had the accident.’                                                    ‘Dear what did you find out from her records and the tests you have carried out so far?’   ‘She’s pregnant, Carmella and I don’t know if she wants him to know about it or if it’s even his.’                                                                                                                                                   ‘How far gone is she?’                                                                                                                                                                                                              ‘A month and some days.’                                                                                                                                                                        ‘Then I have to set out planning a wedding.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            ‘Why?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ‘Because Luis would not have a child of his born illegitimately.’                                                  ‘And Vanessa?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ‘She spooked about Chelsea.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          ‘Nooooooo!’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     ‘Yes, she did, so he called it off about six weeks ago.’                                                                                                                                                            ‘That’s even before –’                                                                                                                                                                                                                 ‘yes dear. Before he left the U.S. and besides everyone knows how he feels about his – ’                                                                                                              ‘Angel!!’ The two of them said together.                                                                                                                                                                                                    ‘It’ll only be the sixth engagement to be broken in the life of Luis –’                                                                                                                  ‘Only that this time it was done solely by him.’                                                                                                                                                        ‘I’m worried about this girl. She’s young, Carmella. Does she even want a baby? Does she love Luis? Even if she does, does she want a life with him?’                                                            ‘Trace dear what will be will be.’                                                                                                                                                                                     ‘He’s a mess, Carmella. A total mess. Most times I go in to check on her I have to remind myself that I am married and cannot comfort him as he should be comforted.’                                                                                                                                                                                                 ‘I know you’re feeling guilty but please don’t. you were just his first l –’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          ‘Carmella, Luis is totally in love with her. I feel guilty for leading him on and then destroying everything by leaving for Med. School but I can’t watch him suffer this way. I just can’t.’                                                                                                                                                                                                 ‘It’s late Trace and your shift is over. Go on home.’                                                                                                                                         ‘I –’                                                                                                                                                                                                                          ‘Go home dear. You’ve had a long day and I see you totally need rest. Besides, your man wouldn’t want you driving in your condition during the storm. Hurry now.’                                                                                     ‘Night Cam.’                                                                                                                                 ‘Night dear.’

The doctor had said she would have resurfaced four days before but that she hadn’t. He was so confused. So angry at himself even as he still prayed constantly at her bed side his hand holding hers. Carmella came in then with his daughter in her arms. ‘Papa.’                                                           ‘Hi dear.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ‘Maman is still asleep?’                                                                                                                                                                                           ‘Yes Cherie.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             ‘Can I stay with you and Maman?’                                                                                                                                                              ‘Yes Cherie.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Carmella put her beside Paris and left the room. It was better the two of them were alone with her.                                                                                                                                                Chelsea began singing a rhyme in French and Luis felt her hand move. His eyes flew to her face. Her eyes were still closed. ‘Ch – el – sea?’ she said her voice very weak. Luis held on to her hand.                                                                                                                                                                   ‘Lu – is?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         ‘I’m here darling.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   ‘I’m here too Maman.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Luis had called in the attention of the doctors and on checking her vitals certified that she was totally fine. They only said she’d remain there for observation. Just after the doctors left the room, he ran his fingers over her hand, and looked at her face. Tracey came in then and took Chelsea out of the room when she noticed the child had finally fallen asleep. ‘Your mother says she hasn’t slept in a long while. I’ll put her to sleep while I call –’                                                                                                                                                       ‘Please do.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Just as Tracey left Paris woke again. ‘Luis I am sorry. Truly I am.’                                                                                                                                                                            ‘There’s nothing to be sorry about. I’m the one who’s sorry.’                                                               ‘You did nothing wrong, Luis. I’m sorry. She’s your daughter. I had no right –’                                                                                                                                                                ‘Our daughter, Paris. Chelsea’s our daughter.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              ‘I’m sorry. I could have gotten you two killed.’ She cried.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            ‘Don’t cry, baby. Don’t cry.’                                                                                                                                                                                                     She tried her damnedest best to stop the tears but it seemed the tears were not in the mood to be stopped. She was not the emotional type. ‘Baby please, stop crying.’  She didn’t like the way she felt now, but try as she did she was not able to get her emotions under control. She finally slept off in his arms, her head on his chest. Tracy came into the room then and Paris woke up then.                                                                                                                                                              ‘Luis let her rest.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        ‘I’m rested enough, please let him stay.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       ‘When can –’                                                                                                                                                                                                             ‘Two days tops. You seem to be so much better.’                                                                                                                                                         ‘I assure you that I am.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Tracy nodded and left immediately, leaving them all alone. Luis held her closer in his arms. ‘Monica says you’re to start your classes next week.’                                                                                                                                                                                      ‘I don’t want to miss it.’                                                                                                                                                                                        ‘You wouldn’t. I spoke with Monica and we decided that we’ll get back as soon as the doctors say it’s safe.’ he said, as she looked at the wall with no expression on her face. She looked up into his eyes then and said, meaning every single letter of those words ‘thank you.’                                                                                                                                                                                  ‘I’ll do anything for you.’                                                                                                                                                                                                          ‘I know.’                                                                                                                                                                                                            ‘I love you.’ He said truly meaning every word. He didn’t want to tell her that he loved her, but almost losing her made him do just that.                                                                                                                                                                     ‘I love you too.’ She said and noticed the tape on his brow. ‘Baby you’re hurt.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          ‘It’s nothing. It is already healed.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ‘Have you eaten?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           ‘That’s not important. What’s important is that you feel just fine.’                                                                                                                                                                                                  ‘Luis! You haven’t been taking care of yourself. You haven’t even shaved.’ She said touching his cheeks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       ‘I couldn’t leave you alone here. I was so scared that I’ll lose you. I love you so much, Paris.’                                                      Her heart leaped at that very moment. I love him so much. I just wish things were so different. I wish I could just tell him the truth. I hope he means his words, I really do. God what do I do. I will just go home to my life. It’s not worth destroying what he feels for me by telling him what it is that I have done. Tracy walked into the room then. ‘Luis, Mr Antony is on the phone for you.’ She said holding his phone.                                                                                                                                      ‘Yes. I thought I told you I’ll take no phone calls.’ He said looking at the door.                                                                                                                                                                                                   Paris looked at him then. He had tensed a bit. He ran a hand through his black hair which had grown longer in the weeks that had passed since the accident. He then said ’I can’t leave her –’                                                                                                                                                    ‘Baby please go. I’m okay.’                                                                                                                                                                                                             ‘I’m not leaving you.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               ‘I’m fine Luis.’                                                                                                                                                                                                ‘I’m glad.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   ‘Eat.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                         ‘I will.’ He said then kissed her hands and her forehead.                                                                                                                                               ‘And shave.’                                                                                                                                                                                              ‘I will.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       ‘I love you, L-Luis.’                                                                                                                                                                                                               ‘I love you too. Very much.’ he said and kissed her forehead. He blew her a kiss at the door. He closed it behind him and Paris shut her eyes. She hated this feeling. This weakness she couldn’t explain or describe. Just as she decided she’d tell him everything once they got back to the states, Tracy walked in. Paris opened her eyes as the woman looked at the hart at the foot of the bed. ‘Why am I so tired?’ She asked sitting up in the bed.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       ‘It’s part of – ‘                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   ‘Tell me the truth.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                ‘You just woke up’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             ‘How long was I comatose?’                                                                                                                                                                                    ‘Three weeks.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      ‘My period is late.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          ‘When you get back to the States please, see your GP.’                                                                                                     ‘Am I okay?’                                                                                                                                                                                                         ‘You’ll just be going for a cross examination dear, nothing too serious.’ she said deciding against telling her about her pregnancy. She didn’t want her in a state of shock or was for her to make a spur of the moment decision to terminate it. That wouldn’t have even been a choice since she hadn’t been a resident for two months and wasn’t a citizen of the country. She getting to know in the United States would give her time to think and she would be in familiar territory.                                                                                                                                        ‘Trace? That’s what someone called you.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      ‘Yeah, Carmella.’                                                                                                                             ‘Who is she to Luis?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      ‘Why don’t you ask Luis yourself?’                                                                                                                                                                                       ‘Trust me I will.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      ‘Why? Tracy asked looking at the woman her best friend was in love with.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   ‘She feels I’m taking Chelsea’s place in Luis’s life.’                                                                                                                                                                              ‘Are you not?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           ‘I’m here with Luis for him and not to take that sweet child’s place.’                                                                                                                                                                     ‘Do you love Luis?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     ‘Are you in love with him?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ‘I asked first. Besides I need to know if this is for real or if Luis is wasting his time and emotions on some nobody and if he’s to trust you with his daughters emotions.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ‘I love Luis. I’m in love with him. And it’s not up to you or anybody else the choices Luis makes with his life and that of his daughter.’                                                                                                                                                                                    ‘That’s all I wanted to hear. I am married –’ she said showing her left hand. The diamond on the fourth finger was huge. ‘                                                                                                                                                                                                ‘You are his first love. Do you think he truly loves me?’ she asked sounding, looking and feeling vulnerable.                                                                                                                                                                                      ‘Why don’t you ask him?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                      ‘I’m asking you.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Tracy nodded and then just as she reached the door she said ‘Are you Chelsea’s mother?’                                                                                                                                                                         ‘I still feel odd.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                             ‘You didn’t answer my question.’                                                                                                                                                                                                               ‘How can I be? Even though I wish I was there’s no way I can be her mother.’                                    Tanya smiled. ‘I didn’t mean to pry.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       ‘You did. And have run a check on me. Who exactly did you tell?’                                                                                                                                                                                              ‘Just a friend.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                 ‘Luis?’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 ‘I’m not stupid dear. I may be his best friend but it’s not everything I find out I tell him. Contact your mother though. She was your emergency contact?’                                                                      ‘Definitely something I would have to change. She won custody, so...’                                                                                                                                                  ‘Rest now. It’ll be our little secret.’                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       ‘Thank you.’