- seventeen -

Magsimula sa umpisa

I call out for my parents as I walk around the house, looking for them. They're not inside. I head into the conservatory and look out of the windows into the garden. Of course, they're sunbathing.

I open the door and head outside to them. Tigger darts in and out of bushes, chasing me as I walk. 

I take a seat on the grass next to them and Tigger wanders over to me, nudging his head onto my leg. I pet him for a little while before speaking.

"Billie's going back to America in two days." I say, staring at the cat instead of my parents.

"I bet she's happy to be going home." my mum responds.

Yes she is, but she want me there too. How can I even say that? 

"She wants me to go with her." I blurt out. I wait a few seconds before turning my head to face my parents. I guess there isn't any way to say that without being blunt.

They were both sat up in their chairs, gazing back at me. 

"You want to go to America with a girl you only met a week ago?" my dad says.

I don't respond. This is already off to a terrible start.

"How do you expect to pay for it?" my mum questions. 

She has a good point. I have no money and I can't ask them to pay for me.

"I... I don't know." I say.

"You have to think about the bigger picture Y/n. If you put in some time to organise it, maybe it would work out." my mum continues, sitting back in her chair and returning to her sunbathing.

I pull my phone out of my pocket and go straight back to Billie.

Y/n:

I don't think I can come.

 I don't have any money to pay for plane tickets and hotels and everything.

Billie comes straight back with a response.

Billie:

You don't have to pay for anything, I'll sort it all out. 

And you don't need a hotel either. 

Y/n:

I can't ask you to pay for all of that.

And I don't think my parents are up to the idea of me going to another country with you.

Shit. That came out harsh. 

Billie:

They can come too then.

They can come too? How is that going to work out?

Y/n:

What do you mean?

Billie:

They can come with you. It can be a family vacation.

That's not a bad idea.

I turn my head back to my parents.

"What if we all go for a holiday? Then you're with me and know I'm safe." I ask.

"We don't have the money for that Y/n. America is expensive." my Dad responds.

"It'll all be covered." I say. Or at least, that's what Billie said.

"And you've discussed all of this?" he continues.

"We can talk over it now? I can call her?" I say, optimistic that they might even give a glimpse of agreeing.

He, surprisingly, nods his head.

I go to my contacts and call Billie. Please, pick up.

"Hey baby. So much for speaking later, it's been like 5 minutes." she answers. 

"I'm going to put you on loudspeaker." I say, ignoring everything she just said, "My parents want to talk about going to America with you."

Hopefully she remembers not to say 'baby' or anything like that.

"Okay, they can hear you." I say, lowering the phone from my ear and holding it out in front of me.

"Hey Billie." my mum opens. 

"So Y/n's told you then?" she asks, the sound of glee in her voice. The idea obviously excited her.

"Yes she has, but I just wanted to go over some things." my mum continues, dampening the mood. "I guess the first question to ask is about money. We can't exactly afford to spontaneously come to America."

"I get that." Billie replies, "But you don't need to worry about it, I'll cover everything."

"We can't ask you to do that." my mum says.

"Please, it won't make a dent in my bank account and I'd love for you all to come." Billie says.

Well, she is right. I doubt bringing 3 people to America would cause some financial problems. She is a multi-millionaire after all.

"And what about hotels?" my mum questions.

"I can sort that out for you guys." Billie responds, "And I'll share everything before finalising anything."

She's really trying to persuade them. It sounds like she's thought about it.

Whilst they talk back and forth, I just smiled hopefully at both of my parents. They, on the other hand, were brandishing much more serious expressions.

After a few minutes, my mum sat back.

"Okay." my mum said.

"What?"

"Okay, we can go. With a few conditions though." she continues.

"Name them." I say.

"It's only for two weeks and you have to get straight on with your schoolwork when you get back."

"Deal." I say. 

"Alright then." Billie says over the phone. "I'll sort everything out and send the details over."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I squeal, leaping up and hugging both of my parents as they can't help but laugh.

I take the phone off of loudspeaker and hold it back to my ear as I walk back inside. 

"Thank you Bil!" I squeal again.

"Hahaha, someone's excited." she says. "I'll sort it all out and send you everything."

"Okay baby! I love youuuuuuuuuu!" I say, inside and out of earshot of my parents.

"Love you too mamas. I'm going to go and get everything rolling." she says. "Bye love."

"Bye Bil." I say, making a kiss sound into the speaker before hanging up.

Oh my god, I am going to America, WITH BILLIE, and my parents... but that bit's only a minor setback.

I go back into the living room, sit on the armchair and return to watching Netflix.