10 | The crown prince

"Well, thank you, sir, but I could've managed on my own."

"You're welcome, love. Who are you anyway? I haven't seen you around here, or I would've remembered." He said. 'What the---' He handed me a handkerchief. "For your quite red eyes." I looked at the handkerchief he gave me. It had a rose with bloody spines embroidered on it. 'What an interesting pattern...'

"Are you going to just stare at it or take it?" I just took it as a response. I put Snowy down and whipped my eyes. "Thank you. Again." He smiled softly and asked me what I was doing here. I told him about everything, well almost everything. (I didn't tell him about the beast since I didn't fully trust him yet.) I asked him about himself and he told me that he was the crowned prince of the small kingdom that lived underneath the waterfall. We laughed and talked for what felt like hours and he told me about this place. In the end, I and Snowy ended up living here till the delegation to the surface was ready to set off, since it was way better than living in an improvised shelter.

A few days have passed...

After living in the palace, I started learning about the kingdom's history. I and Ash also got closer, as he would come and see what I was doing once or twice a day. And one day I found an odd book at the back of the palace's library. I opened it and read out loud. "There are two actual kingdoms on the island: the fairies and magical creatures, that's the upper kingdom and the hidden one. The latter is the mystical kingdom of the feared werewolves led by no other but the mighty king Ronnald Steven George the third of the Hemming dynasty."

As I read that I couldn't believe it. Was it just a coincidence that Ash's father's name was Ronald Hemming or that there was no notice of fairies or werewolves in any other books in the library? Or that he would avoid answering my question about it? I'm almost sure I know the answer. Although I needed to check, so I went looking for Ash. I have to admit, whenever I'm around him, I've got butterflies in my stomach, my face felt hotter and was about to think I was falling in love, but now that I found that he had been lying to me, it just made my heart ache all of a sudden. But not as much as what I was going to see.