fifty-eight | without interruption

Start from the beginning

I turned, striding down the hallway towards his main office. I'm not even 100% sure he's there, if he's in a meeting, or whatever other possibilities there might be but I know I'm willing to sit and wait for him. As long as it takes.

I kept walking, eyes watching my steps in concentration. My practiced lines are playing on repeat. I know what I want to say and how I want to say it but whether he lets me is a whole different story.

My attention was shifted when the sound of a door opening echoed throughout the hallway. A man exited the main door to Steele's office. He adjusted his suit and began approaching me.

So, Steele is here and he's in there. Alone.

Everything is lining up, effortlessly falling into place.

The man passed by me quietly, a business partner or associate of some sort. Older, pristine; his looks similar to Steele's in many ways but nothing outstanding. Cordially, I flashed him a small smile and he reciprocated it with one of his own and a suggestive wink.

My skin crawled at the sight, knowing it came from a place of assuming. Assuming I'm some sort of help, assuming I'm paid to be here for other reasons, assuming that I am everything I'm not.

He kept walking, fully out of my sight with no looking back from me. He disappeared past me down the hall and out the front door, closing it behind him with a soft slam.

When my body stood before the office door, I stopped. In and out, deep breaths. I collected myself on the surface, reciting my key notes one last time.

You're confetti, blue.

Skipping the courtesy of knocking; I pushed the door open, stepping inside quietly; closing it even softer behind me to not stir up a fuss already.

"Back so soon, Mr. -" For the first time, Steele looked from up his wooden desk. Eye's locking on mine with a flash of black, "You."

His voice was seething with anger at the mere image of me. I moved towards him as he flew up from his seat behind the table. My arms folded over, face stone with expression which only fueled his anger due to my lack of waver.

"I thought I fucking told you i would kill you-"

"You would kill me if you saw me again? Yes. I remember." I cut him off, now standing straight across from him. All that separates us is a measly desk.

"Get out! Get out of my fucking sight before i put a bullet between your fucking eyes! I won't hesitate-"

"Enough." I raised my hand, silencing him, "Look, Steele, here's how this is going to go; I'm going to speak. I'm not going to yell. I'm not going to curse. I'm going to talk and you are going to listen."

"You have some fuckin' nerve coming in here, making demands to me! After everything i've fucking done for you!" His hand moved to the drawer of his desk, trying to push me into feared silence. "I'll fucking kill-"

"Do it then. Kill me. You have said it over and over again, so go on. Do it." I outstretched my arm, leaving myself an open target. "You won't though, will you? Because you stand to lose too much by killing me. Isn't that right?"

My voice was strong, hands steady; not any ounce of trembling sewn in my body. The only thing I could feel was adrenaline and vengeance running through my blood.

"I wouldn't lose shit and you know it. You think Harry would jeopardize his life, his career, for you? Naive. That is what you are." His anger was spitting as he spoke. "I'm not concerned about your disposal, Miss Monroe."