10. Valentines day

February 14th of 86'

Red, pink and white hearts were strung from the ceilings of Hawkins high school for Valentine's Day. Girls were recieving Valentines in their lockers, serenades were sung, and heart shaped chocolate wrappers littered the floor in some certain classrooms.

Kathryn used to love Valentine's Day, that was when she lived in Montana. Now back in Hawkins it felt like Valentine's Day had lost its spark. She didn't have her grandparents to spoil her with love and gifts that she found so thoughtful: her favorite candy, lockets, books, fashion magazines, music. They really got her and this would be the first time in nearly 3 years that she would spend it without them.

     She didn't know that her friends would make this Valentine's Day one that she would never forget.

When she opened her locker, already inside she found a mixtape from Eddie which now marked the sixth one she had received from him since Christmas and she was loving them. She memorized the songs on the lists, she knew every part of them, every lyric, which order they were in, and how they correlated: like wether Eddie thought it reminded him of her or wether he just liked the songs.

Then there was a stuffed bear, a plush rabbit and a box of chocolates all from Lori, Judith and Cady. They were the girls she could always rely on no matter what.

"Did you like the presents?" The redhead, Judith asked Kat when she saw her in the hallway.

"I did, I even got you one, but I'm saving it for tonight." Kathryn and the girls were having a sleepover at her house since her parents wouldn't be home till late, They were planning on going on a valentines date. Max left sometime during the previous month and though Kathryn thought about asking Max to come over she didn't.

   "Can't wait." Judith seriously couldn't wait. She hated Valentine's Day, but loved receiving gifts. She didn't like to admit it, because she never wanted to seem rude, but she did.

"Did you guys do the math homework?" Lori walked up behind them. She looked extremely tired and not as put together as she usually did.

"Jesus what happened to you?" Judith turned.

"I had to stay up to help with my grandma. She isn't doing so well right now." Lori's hair was up in a ponytail, she was wearing sweats and a hoodie, and she had on her old sneakers.

    "Crap, I'm sorry Lori, are you okay?" Judith's tone changed.

"Yea I'm fine, just a little upset and tired."

"You sure? Do you need anything?" Kathryn comforted her.

"I'm sure." She made sure both the girls knew.

    Judith just wrapped her arm around her and walked to her to class.

Cady was no where to be found, in fact it wasn't until lunch that any of the other girls saw her.

"I was busy." She said obviously. She was skipping class.

      "Yea right doing what?"  Judith was munching on a chocolate bar that Cady had gotten her.

     "Okay well-" She whispered ever so slightly, but the next words were so quiet that none of them could hear her.

      "What?" They others all looked to each other confused.