quarantanove

◇unedited

James' POV

I tried to find a place with no people around so I would have privacy to talk to my brother. I didn't know what he wanted but he knew I was away and didn't want to get bothered. So, he better had a good reason for this call.

"Hello?" I answered the phone. I found a place where I could be away but still have my eyes on them. I didn't want her to slip out of my sight again.

"You need to get back home soon," he said without even replying to my greeting. I furrowed my eyebrows in question. Why would he need me to be home soon?

"Why? I still have a lot to do here, Vincenzio," I replied. I wouldn't get in the car and drive home just because he wanted me to without a solid reason. I just found the guy who Jamee talked about and I needed to know about the story. Especially after he said he wanted Jamee to visit his clinic. Fiorelli was born a long time ago but why did she need to visit her OB-Gyn again now?

"Well, that's why I said as soon as possible. Something happened with your father-in-law," he said and I frowned at that.

"What happened to Marsello?" My eyes unconsciously drifted to where Jamee was seated. If something happened to him, Jamee would be heartbroken.

"Nothing happened to Marsello. It was what Marsello did," he said.

"What did he do?" There was no curiosity, I was just simply asking. Of course, I would want to know what Marsello did until Vincenzio had to call me.

"He sent a divorce paper to the house and also, I think he might be announcing something." When I heard about the divorce papers, my face brightened up. It should be the divorce of me and his daughter, right? That barbie doll that I despised.

"That's good, I will come back soon. There is something that I need to find out first here." I replied.

"Find out what?"

"Jamee's OB-Gyn. There's something he knows and I need to find out about that. He looked suspicious to me," I replied to him. The way he said to visit him again sounded so weird to me.

"Don't you think she will tell you if there is something wrong?" he questioned. "How did you know about her OB-Gyn?"

"She told me," I replied the way it was.

"Then, she will tell you if something is wrong with her. She still trusts you even though things happened between the two of you." I got silent when he said that. He said something that make sense and it made me realize if I intervened without her permission, who am I to do that, right? She would get offended and that was not what I was trying to do

"Alright, I'll text you when I come back."

"Okay, bye."

Putting my phone down, I walked back to the table. When I come back, they were still talking to one another while Jamee also keep an eye on our daughter.

I slid back to the seat and that made Jamee turn her head to me. She smiled in assurance before asking me about the call. "Everything all right?"

"Yes, Vincenzio said your father sent a divorce paper to the house. So, we will need to go back soon," I said to her which was against my wish. I kept on telling her that we should have stayed here but now, the table had turned.

"I told you we will need to go back home. You are just stubborn to not want to go back." She pinched my cheek and chuckled. I found that so cute, so I steal a peck on her lips which surprise her.

"Stop being so pretty, I don't have enough securities to guard you here."

"Don't be silly." She slapped my shoulder and looked away. I caught a glimpse of embarrassment on her face, but her cheeks were blushing.

"I love you," I whispered in her ear. I knew she would hate it if I said that out loud in public. I knew she heard me, she just didn't respond to it. So this time around, I said it louder. "I love you... Fio."

Jamee was already snapped her head towards me until she hear the end, I sheepishly smiled at her.

"Too, Papa." Fiorelli smiled while looking at me. I leaned closer to her and kiss her on the lips. She giggled after that moment.

"Aren't they a lovely family?" Sierra spoke to Andreas. I didn't know if she meant to say that only to him, but everyone at the table heard her, especially Jamee.

"They are," Andreas agreed. He was eyeing us weirdly like there was something he wanted to say about us. "I wonder what made her leave him. Wouldn't that be a big question?"

"Why does that bothers you?" I asked him with a raised eyebrow. I caressed Fiorelli's hair as I spoke to him and my eyes were also on him.

"It just is. I was raised to be a man to take care of the woman I chose to spend my life with since day one. So, I wonder what woman means in your life. Did she even have some worth in your life?" His words angered me. He didn't have the right to say that to me.

"Andreas," both women warned him.

"Can you be nicer to him? He didn't do anything wrong to you and that is not how you should approach someone." His girlfriend gave him an earful and while they were in their own world, Jamee was silent.

"Let's go home," I told her and get up ready to pay for the food. She didn't fight back and just go along with me. I felt like she was also disappointed with Andreas and that was good. I really didn't like him at all.

We left the table just like that without saying goodbye. As we walked back to the house, I insisted to carry Fio and had my other hand hold hers.

"Do you want to visit Diane today?" I asked to open a conversation with her. I didn't like the silence between us.

"Yes, let's visit her today and go back home." I nodded agreeing with her. I would like to go home as soon as possible, the situation was not refreshing anymore as it should be.

I leaned toward her and kissed her on the temple. She placed her head on my shoulder as we kept on walking. I caressed her back in a comforting way as she needed.