dieci

◇unedited◇

Two days after his visit, I am now standing in front of his gate alone. Yesterday, I hired a babysitter to test how she will do with my baby while I am not home, she was good. But, Vincenzio found out and decided to hired someone he trusted to looked out for Fiorelli.

I rang a bell on the security post. I'm not sure who is in charge today, but hopefully Benjamin is here today.

I was expecting a voice to come out from the speaker. But, I heard the front gate being opened. I waited for who ever it is to make appearance.

"Jamee!" Benjamin's shocked voice could be heard and then he walked up to me and grabbed my hands. "You came back." He stated in a happy tone, but couldn't believe like it's real.

"Is he home?" I nodded and asked.

"Of course, he's always home. He rarely come out if it's not necessary." He told me. "Come on, I'll lead you inside. I'm not sure if he's up or not, haven't heard from him today." He said as he guided me to the house.

Of course I am still familiar with the house, it haven't change a bit even though it's been almost three years.

Benjamin pushed the door open and we are greeted with emptiness. The house is very empty like there's no sign of life here. But, what about his fiancee? Shouldn't she be here, taking care of him and the house? It's what she should do.

"Sir." Benjamin called out loud for James. But no answer comes. "Maybe he's still asleep. You can just go and wake him up." He said, initiating that I should go to his room.

"No, it won't be appropriate." Benjamin frowned.

"What do you mean? You are his wife, you have the right to be with him and even go to his room to wake him up." He said.

"I will just wait until he wakes up. Have you eaten? Where's Nicholas?" I asked. Nicholas was the last person I saw before I left and he noticed something was off about me. He was right, something is going with me that day.

"It's his day off." I nodded in understanding.

"Wait with me in the kitchen, I'll make some breakfast." I said as I make my way to the kitchen. I'll make sure that he stays with me until he wakes up.

Benjamin seated on the chair as I requested. Our atmosphere is not awkward, we usually are like this. So, it's nothing new.

"Did Diane told you to come back?" Benjamin asked and I simply nodded. I am so focused in cooking, every questions he asked, I only replied them shortly.

Until the foods is done, he stayed seated. I lay them out on the kitchen counter, platted them accordingly.

"Eat something." I ordered him and give him a plate to eat.

"Are you going to eat as well?" He asked and scooped the food hesitantly.

"I have eaten." I replied. He knew not to refused or I am going to complain about the food waste and he's going to get an earful from me.

After he's done eating, there is still no sign of him.

"Are you sure he's home?" I asked to make sure that I'm waiting for someone that is here.

"He is."

"Jamee." As Benjamin replied to me, his deep and raspy voice called my name. Benjamin excused himself out to let us be alone, I knew that.

I saw his eyes widened and he blinked them a couple of times. I can see that he just woke up and couldn't believe his eyes and what's in front of him. He slowly make his way towards me and stopped in front of the counter which is opposite from where I am standing.

"You're here." He said in unbeliev manner. He walked around the counter and immediately hugged me. He hugged me like he's making sure that I am real, that I am standing in the kitchen that was once ours.

He hugged me so tight, afraid that I would be gone into thin air. He breathed me in, kissed my neck and rested his lips on there.

I pushed him off by his stomach after sometimes as I feel the need to broke the hug.

"I've been looking for you, Jamee." He grabbed my face gently and caress my cheek lightly. He looked at me with those gloomy eyes. His appearance changed, he have not been looking out for himself.

"I came back." I said and he smiled. "To replace Diane. I'll be starting on Monday." His smile immediately dropped.

"I won't let you work here. You're my wife, you need to be by my side. I need you." He said.

"That's why I'm here today, James. Come, eat breakfast first." I pushed his hands off my face and told him to take a seat.

I put a new plate in front of him and expected him to start digging on the foods.

"I killed him, Jamee. I thought I could finally asleep without worry. But you're not here even though he's gone now." James suddenly said. He's staring at the plate I placed in front of him.

Kill? He killed someone?

I take a seat next to him, wanting to know more about this ridiculous thing he just confessed.

"What did you say?" I asked him again to repeat what he said.

"I killed him with my own hands." His head turned to me as he put his hands in the air, pointing them out to me. Showing me the evidence of the crime he did.

"Who did you kill?" I asked carefully. Wanting to know what happened until he dared to kill someone? There is a reason why he didn't want to be involved in the mafia, that was one of them and also to protect me.

"He put a price on your head, so I had to kill him. I did, Jamee." My eyes widened.

"My what?" I asked dumbfounded. I didn't know much about the mafia life he lives in. So him, talking like that confused me.

"Someone wanted to kill you, so I killed him first. There's too many of them, I only killed the one who responsible for the war. In the meantime, they created a distraction. The announcement was the distraction." He explained. I can see that it hurts him as he spoke, explaining everything to me.

He's suffering from this situation, I was not alone. But, it was too late. Him, rejecting me in front of his parents is the start of something we can't continue.

 Him, rejecting me in front of his parents is the start of something we can't continue

I don't know why, this always happened throughout a story I write.
When I just felt lost and lose interest in the story but have everything plotted out in my head.

Even though it comes to this situation, I appreciate your support.