Ten

“God, what else do you want from me?”

I sat cross-legged in my office and blinked at an exasperated Harry.

He had walked in thirty minutes ago with an apology for last night and even though I had forgiven him twenty minutes ago I couldn't deny I was enjoying his rapidly growing frustration at my silence.

“Huh, you know when you say things like that it makes me wonder if you really are sorry,” I folded my arms as I continued to beat this dead horse.

He tugged his earlobe — a sign that he was nearing his wits end — and sighed.

“I honestly do not know what is wrong with you,” Harry muttered to himself. “Look, I really need your help, believe me, if someone else can help me I wouldn't be here. Would you please just let this die and let's go?”

I frowned, not knowing whether to feel insulted or flattered.

“What is this thing that you can't possibly do without me?”

He shook his head. “If I tell you now you'll just say no, so let's go and you'll find out when we get to Orphic.”

“I can pretty much guarantee that my location will not affect my answer so let me just save you the trouble. No,” I made to go back to the folders on my desk.

Harry sighed and dug something out of the pocket of his tan chinos. “I didn't want to have to do this but you've given me no choice. I'm cashing in my coupon. Let's go.”

He handed me a small piece of white paper and I knew I was beaten.

On the college-ruled page was an IOU I had given Harry for the time that I made him miss his cousin's traditional wedding because I had to go for my regular check-in with my therapist and I didn't want to go alone.

I'm aware it sounds cruel of me but in my defence, he didn't even want to go the damn thing in the first place and he was able to attend the church wedding. I had penned the IOU when his insistent complaints outside the waiting room was driving me insane. Or more insane than I usually was.

IOU – this allows Harold ‘Harry’ Adebayo one free ticket to get me (Amarachi Okon) to do whatever he wants. Valid forever but let's hope he's going to live long enough to be able to use it, was written on it in my familiar cursive.

Damn it.

“Damn. Fine, let's go. I need a ride anyways.”

“Ah, thank you, Lord Jesus,” Harry breathed with glee.

I stood up, tore the paper, and packed up my things.

“Wait, why do you need a ride? Does her royal highness not drive anymore?” Harry asked as I locked my door and pocketed the key.

I shot him an unimpressed stare. “No actually, Sam was such a dear. He picked me up this morning and we had this very interesting conversation on the way about electromagnetic radiation and its impact on . . .”

“Yeah, don't even bother finishing that sentence, I'm already bored,” Harry unlocked the doors of his beige Subaru and we both entered.

I was immediately transported to the middle of a pine forest thanks to his very potent air freshener.

“I can't believe you kept that IOU,” I told him as I fastened my seat belt.

“You gave me the ultimate weapon, no way in hell was I going to lose that,” he put on his belt too, and soon we were coasting through the streets of Lagos lit up by street lamps.

I rolled my eyes.

After a couple of inaudible breaths, I asked my next question. “So. You and your friend Daniel, how long have you two known each other? This one you're making him the best man.” I tried as much as possible to make my voice sound casual.