5

Leonelle Moreau

I stared at my car, my heart hammering against my chest and the world around me seemed to get hotter. We were standing around, each car on its place on the grid while we waited, for what? I have no idea. I'm just taking my time to calm myself down.

I kneeled before the car, on both my knees and put my left hand on the front wing. "C'est juste toi et moi, maintenant, Alora." I whispered to her, my car.

I shut my eyes for a bit, sending a quick prayer to God to help me out on this before I stood up, only to be engulfed in a familiar embrace.

I hugged him back just as tight, clenching his suit in my gloved hands. He pulled away just slightly to rest his helmet against mine. His ocean eyes bored into my emerald ones, both of our chests rising and falling at the same time.

"J'ai envie de taper. J'peux pas taper? [I feel like tapping out. Can't I tap out?]" I whispered, scared shitless at the moment for an unknown reasons.

"Je suis plus que d'accord avec ça, mon ange. [I'm more than okay with that, my angel.]" His tone matched mine, voice gruff and laced with worry, the same feeling that swam around in the blue of his eyes.

I hugged him one more time to ease my erratic heart in some way, but to no avail.

"Okay, lovebirds! Everyone knows you love each other way too much now!" Max chuckled from afar, pausing his chat with Charles who didn't look his happiest at the moment.

I sent a glare towards Max as I and Pierre pulled away at the same time, keeping the close proximity between us. "Sois prudent. [Be careful.]" I kind of commanded him, putting my hand on the back of his helmet to press it against mine while he did the same.

"Toi aussi. [You, too.]"

I let him go, watching him go back towards his car and seeing the many eyes on us and the cameras that surrounded us.

It was time to go now. I sat in my car with everything good and ready to go. I put down my visor, my eyes trained on the lights.

The first one is out.

The second one is out.

The third one is out.

The fourth one is out.

And the fifth...

With no thought in mind, I pressed on the throttle and speeded out, not wanting to be included in the first lap's mayhem and to stay safe.

"Radio check." I spoke, keeping Carlos insight before me as Max and Charles were at the front.

"Checked and okay." James replied back while my heart slowed down the slightest bit. "Keep your pace and defend your place, Elle. Don't try to overtake."

"Copy that." I replied, both hands in front of me while I tried to keep up with the red car before me.

It's all sunshine and rainbows at the moment. Fourty-three laps in and everything is amazing. I'm still fourth, too. The best season opener I can have.

The three cars in front of me slowed down as I frowned, following after them and lining up after I saw the red flag.

"What's going on?" I asked, worried about why there's a safety car out. "Is everyone okay?"

"Gasly's car caught fire on the first turn." Panic surged through my whole being at his words, my heartbeat picking up once again.

"Fuck, is he okay?!" I almost shouted at the man, my hands getting clammy under the gloves.