At Peace ≫ Yellowfang x Female! Reader (PLATONIC)

Art: Azthmutt

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• None

****

You trudged into camp, not even wincing as the thorns of the barrier scraped against your pelt. You were beyond exhausted, and each step you took sent a sharp zing of pain through your paws. You wanted nothing more than to curl up in your nest in the warriors' den and call it a day.
You were halfway to the hollowed-out bush when someone stepped in front of you, blocking your path. You sighed, smiling tiredly at the familiar face.
"Hi, Yellowfang. I was just—"

"No, you weren't," The grumpy she-cat interrupted you, her scratchy voice firm. "You look like death, (Y/N)! How can you expect me to leave you alone like this?"

"I'm not sick," You protested weakly, feeling your legs threaten to give out underneath you.
"I'm exhausted. Can I please just go to my nest without you putting up a fuss?"
Yellowfang's amber eyes twinkled with amusement for just a moment, then they returned to their usual hardness.
You rolled your heavy eyes.
Every night with this fox-dung.

"Can I make sure you're okay for once without you putting up a fuss?" She shot back, her bushy tail-tip flicking impatiently.
"I'm your medicine cat, (Y/N), and I refuse to let you out of my sight until I know you're okay!"
You wanted to cry. You were miserable due to exhaustion, and the last thing you wanted to do was get poked and prodded.
Yellowfang noticed your despair and sighed, her face softening.
"Tell you what," She meowed, a half-smile curling up on the right side of her mouth.
"If you let me give you a good look-over, you can sleep in the extra nest by my herb store tonight. Ashpaw just put clean moss in it this morning. What do you say, (Y/N)?"
You looked at your paws, considering her offer. You did find the nests in the medicine den softer than the ones in the warriors' den, and, as begrudgingly you admitted it, it could never hurt to make sure you were healthy.

"Fine," You muttered, flattening your ears. "but I'm not happy about it."

Yellowfang nodded, seeming satisfied with herself. "Good, good. And no one said you have to like it. I only expect you to tolerate it."
With that, she pressed herself to your flank and began guiding you towards the swath of ferns that surrounded the medicine den, keeping pace with you the whole time.
You bit back and slew of angry insults as she guided you through the lush greenery and into the small clearing.
She's only trying to help you, (Y/N). Just accept it.
The overbearingly pungent odor of herbs hit you right in the face as you finally stepped onto the soft ground of the medicine den, and you had to look away to try and shield your nose from the many smells.
"You get used to it," Yellowfang chuckled as she helped you lower yourself into a vacant nest.
"It's part of the territory. Now, where are you the most sore?"

You were already starting to drift off, but you forced your eyes halfway open and muttered,
"My paws."
Yellowfang nodded, then turned and disappeared into a crack in the stone wall. You weren't sure what she was doing, but you could hear her rummaging around and mumbling to herself. After a moment of this, she returned with a mouthful of different herbs gripped in her jaws.

"Here," She meowed, setting the leaves down next to you. "Eat those poppy seeds and thyme while I rub a dock leaf poultice on your pads. It won't hurt for much longer."
You sat up, wincing at the soreness that filled your body. Yellowfang began chewing several leaves into a poultice, and you dipped your head and began lapping up the herbs she had instructed you to eat. As you chewed, you obediently lended her each of your paws so she could rub the poultice into them.
This is ridiculous, You thought irritably. Why couldn't she just let me go to my nest?
But even with your despairing thoughts, you had to admit that your paws already felt much better, and the poppy seeds and thyme were allowing your stressed mind to wind down.

"Thank you," You murmured sleepily, allowing your eyes to flicker closed. "What would I do without you, Yellowfang?"
Although your eyes were closed, you could tell the older gray she-cat was watching you with a small half-smile on her face whilst shaking her head slowly. It made you smile to think about.

"Get some rest, mouse-brain," She meowed with a light chuckle. "You've earned it."
You were too far gone to respond, so you simply curled deeper into the soft moss and let your mind slip into a peaceful darkness.
Just as you were almost asleep, however, the moss shifted beside you and the feeling of fur pressing against your flank roused you ever so slightly. You opened one eye just a crack to see Yellowfang laying beside you, staring straight ahead as if in deep remembrance.
You smiled, letting your eyes fall closed again.
Your soreness and exhaustion didn't matter anymore, because you knew Yellowfang would always take care of you.
As you drifted away into sleep, it was an occurring thought that for the first time that day, you were at peace.

****

Hey guys! I managed to write one more chapter this week. It took all of my energy, so feel special xD

In all seriousness, thank you all so much for your support. I wouldn't be the writer I am without you.