Part 3

They waited for WhiteNoFace's next move, while checking the analytics of Xie Lian's streaming. Sure enough, there came a comment: NOT SURE WHERE YOU GOT THIS CONFIDENCE FROM. YOU'RE OLDER AND RUSTY AND HAVEN'T STEPPED IN A CYPHER FOR YEARS. 😜

Xie Lian replied: SO? IN SHOWING MY OWN FACE I'VE GOT MORE CONFIDENCE THAN SOME. 😉

They all laughed, imagining how WhiteNoFace should be pissed off that Xie Lian was being that bitchy, but Xie Lian himself was getting more and more anxious; he was starting to actually think about facing WhiteNoFace, and yes, he had a point: Xie Lian haven't stepped into a cypher for years. He was wondering about the outcome of all that.

Hua Cheng got close to him, rubbing his little finger on Xie Lian's hand, without anyone noticing. He said, "It doesn't matter if you win the battle. You step in, you show you're not afraid, he has no power over you. You win".

Xie Lian looked at him, his overthinking reversing; instead of imagining the end of the battle and it's (bad) outcome, he started to picture he actually stepping in, WhiteNoFace's actual face dropping behind that stupid mask. He smiled; the image of that guy's disappointment was so clear it was like it had already happened.

"Yeah", he replied, "Who care is I win or lose, it's just a rap battle. Now WhiteNoFace being there..."

"We'll get him right after. Then we beat the fuck out of him", Feng Xin said.

"Wait", Mu Qing added, "Now we've recovered the accounts maybe we can actually put a case for online bullying, harassment and what not. We've got proof".

Hua Cheng said, "I say we beat the fucker, THEN we put a case". The four of them actually smiled at each other in agreement and made a toast with their beers.

Their phones pinged again. IN THIS CASE LET'S BATTLE ON THE MAIN STAGE, his comment said.

Xie Lian thought to himself, 'It doesn't make any difference. For me it's going to be you and I inside a dark cursed mountain'. They decided to take a walk around and check the festival mood, and keep Xie Lian busy, and relaxed.

As soon as they stepped outside in the crowd, they heard a shouting, "Xie Lian! Xie Lian!"

Xie Lian turned around, and he couldn't believe it: it was Shi Qingxuan! He had wondered where he was just the night before – it turns out he was right here, with a bunch of guys following him, all wearing the same t-shirt: Zhu An's Stag Do. Shi Qingxuan was the life of the party, outshining even the groom, the whole group not doing anything but following him.

"Shi Qingxuan, I'm so happy to see you!", Xie Lian blurted out, giving him a warm hug.

"Good timing too", Mu Qing approached him, "Xie Lian's going to rap battling and we need to organise a big cheering".

Shi Qingxuan, who met Xie Lian on a rap battle organised by Banyue and Pei Su – where he went but ONCE – felt right at home with this task, and replied, "Yo, Xie Lian's my homeboy". They all exchanged looks; Shi Qingxuan shouted to his mates, "Oi oi oi, rap battling and Xie Lian's the man! Alright? 3, 2, 1, tweeting!"

As one, they all started to furiously spread the – online – word, Xie Lian's name certainly trending, his popularity exploding. Shi Qingxuan winked, "Wherever I go I can always draw a crowd"; he patted Xie Lian on the shoulder and said, "Leave it with me, just go and do your thing, and go all out against this WhiteNoFace".

They went to the main stage's side, and Xie Lian had a blast from the past – another one happening that day: the presenter of Mount Tong'Lu's rap battles was none other than Mei Nianqing, or put simply, The Guoshi, the first instructor Xie Lian ever had on the hip hop workshops he used to go when he was a kid.

He was startled, but The Guoshi simply said, like he had seen Xie Lian just the other day, "Are you surprised I'm here? You're treating me like I'm a hip hop nobody".

Xie Lian blurted out, "Guoshi, it was you! At Mount Tong'Lu Resort I mean..."

"I deserve to stay in a good hotel I think?", he replied, and then he saw Feng Xin and Mu Qing, and added, "Oh I knew you guys had to be around".

They were greatly disappointed for having been recognised after all these years, specially Mu Qing, who still had boyish looks.

Xie Lian said to Hua Cheng, "This is Mei Nianqing, The Guoshi. He taught me all I know about rhyming and remixing", and gave The Guoshi a bright smile. He felt nostalgic as how The Guoshi was still the same: so strict and grumpy like he was teaching calligraphy instead of hip hop!

"I taught you everything you knew when you were 12. Where you went from there it's entirely your effort and talent".

"Say, Guoshi", Mu Qing asked, "How come the rap battles are on the main stage now?"

"Somebody pulled some strings", he answered. "This guy who challenged you isn't just anybody". He seemed to hear something from his earpiece, nodded, and said to them, "Okay, time to go. I hope you're ready Xie Lian", and, turning around, walk over to the stage.

The Guoshi walked in, waving at the crowd, which went mad with excitement. He announced on the microphone, "This is Mount Tong'Lu life or death rap battles, on which everybody comes for blood, but few survive. The survivor will be our Supreme". And he smiled, bowing to the audience.

"First challenger, we don't know much about him, but I'm sure you're all aware of the hostilities going on at the festival channel. WhiteNoFace!"

The stage was filled with smoke, strobe lights numbing all the senses; a figure dressed all in white walked in. He was wearing that mask showing a half-laughing-half-crying face. It gave Xie Lian the chills seeing that anxiety-inducing mask in person, and his whole body tensed; Hua Cheng walked in and put a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it lightly.

WhiteNoFace bowed to the crowd, then bowed to Xie Lian; and off the mic said,

"Xie Lian, we finally meet. I understand it must be quite a shock for you". He sounded so sincere, like he honestly cared about Xie Lian's well-being. Surprisingly, he added, "How about this: I do a warm-up with your mate there? How about it – then he turned to Hua Cheng, and said on the mic – CRIMSON RAIN SOUGHT FLOWER?"

Hua Cheng's face went dark, and he gently pushed Xie Lian aside, walking with resolution to the stage, to meet his challenger. Xie Lian didn't even have the chance to react, he just stood there. It all made sense! Wasn't Hua Cheng the kid he himself said to keep rhyming, and come for him for battling? If Hua Cheng took it to heart, he could perfectly be at Mount Tong'Lu epic rap battles at the age of 15.

"If we're talking about secret identities here", The Guoshi said, "WhiteNoFace is The Crown Prince of Wu'Yong".

"The creator of Mount Tong'Lu?", Xie Lian asked.

"Yes", The Guoshi replied.

"So do you know who he actually is?", Xie Lian asked again.

"Yes".

So, Hua Cheng is the legendary Crimson Rain Sought Flower, the youngest winner of Mount Tong'Lu Festival's rap battles! I'm shaken to the core... 😜