clxxi. love songs on the radio

Start from the beginning

"Just you wait." I nod. "Wait until what you see what I've got ready for you."

"She looks just like an angel
When she walks across the room
She shines tonight her golden light
Is everything I need"

"I'm glad you could make it." Annie nods, her blonde hair falling over her eyes slightly. "Just before we get started, I'd like for you to let me know everything that you already know about this. I don't really like reciting information to a person who already knows it all."

"Can I be honest with you, Annie?" I sigh, looking between her and the piano sitting in front of us. "I actually know nothing about piano what-so-ever."

"You serious?" The woman sighs, glancing between the giant instrument and me. "And you're telling me that you're trying to figure out how to play this within a month?" She asks, pointing at the sheet music in front of us.

"Yes." Maybe it was a bad idea for me to make this Hange's present. It would have probably been better for me to go shopping and pick out cute little gifts for them, but I just thought that they deserved more than that.

I found the sheet music for Hange's favorite song while scrolling through social media one night, and I had an epiphany. I knew that my gift to Hange would be me playing their favorite songs for them. Maybe it was a bad gift, I'm not sure, but I just knew that I didn't want to spend my money on meaningless presents for them. I just felt that doing this for them would mean more to them.

"Why are you doing this?" Annie sighs. "I mean, you do understand that you're literally going to be practicing day and night to get this right, to even understand half of what you're doing."

"I'm willing to do that." I nod. "There's just someone that I really want to play this for, is all. I can do it, Annie, I promise. I just really need this."

"Fine." She shrugs, glancing down at the keys on the piano. "Let's get you started. You might as well start taking notes because I'm going over all of this fast. Let's start with the notes. This one here is C. It's in the middle of the piano and it's known as middle C. The one next to it right here is D. You see these little black keys?"

I nod. "These are flats and sharps. A sharp is a half a note higher and a flat is a half a note lower. Basically, a B flat and an A sharp are the same note, just with different names. You see how these two notes," She pauses for a moment, pointing out what I had assumed to be A and B, "Can be called both A sharp or B flat. It's the same note, you see?"

"Yes, I get that." I nod. "Just going to be a bit tricky for me when I'm reading it."

"It definitely is." Annie nods. "Which brings me to my next point. You've got two staffs to read for the piano. The top is the treble clef and the bottom is the bass clef."

"Treble and Bass." I sigh.

"Let's just let you have a try." Annie nods. "Tap a key and tell me what note it is, go on."

"Lovers all around her
She wears them like her jewels
My friend said she's all he needs
To feel alive"

I unlocked the door to the apartment, my fingers aching after my fifteenth practice with Annie. The woman really meant it when she told me that she would not give me a break and that I really would have to put my all into learning this instrument.

"There you are." Hange nods, standing from the couch. "Work has been beating your ass recently, hasn't it? You've been staying late pretty much every day now."

"I know, Hans." I sigh, kicking my shoes off of me feet as I placed my bag down. "It'll be over soon, it's just temporary. Erwin told us that he was working things out and changes would be made soon."