cxliii. ghost (part v)

"I do hope you've enjoyed it around here

"I do hope you've enjoyed it around here." Catherine breathes a small laugh, glancing up at the ceiling behind me as it appears that a million thoughts circumnavigate her mind.

"Yes," I answer shortly. "Lovely place, really. It's comfortable."

"Well I should hope so." She smiles. "After I heard of your arrival and while you were busy filling out papers, I made sure to clean that place up. If I'm being completely honest, I never once imagined that someone might move in there. It had just been vacant for so long that I had just given up on my hopes for it."

I nodded slowly, but the knowledge of this woman's relation with Hange remained present in the back of my mind. It disgusted me knowing that I could stand and speak to such a woman after she had been responsible for causing such a chaos onto an innocent person.

"I'm very thankful." I said quietly. "It was beautiful in there before, but I appreciate all your efforts."

"Dear, you seem tired." Catherine pouts, her head tilting to the side softly, as if she were trying to express her concern through her body. "Is everything alright?"

"Fine," I said, shaking my head. "It's just that all my work seems to be catching up to me. I didn't think working at a small coffee shop down the road would really end up being as stressful as it was."

"Ah," She nods. "Well, I don't guess everything is as it seems. I guess even the smallest of services must find some part of their days stressful. Stress is just a part of life!"

"I guess." I stood straight as I gave off clues that our conversation was running out. Catherine caught on quickly as she let out a small sigh.

"I do hope you can get yourself some rest." She nods. "I'll be off. There's a couple bills left for me to pay."

"Right." I nod. "Thank you, Catherine." The old woman offers me a small smile before I separate myself from her and climb the stairs.

I shut the door behind me when I finally reached my apartment, letting out a small sigh as the sound of the window shutting caught my attention. It had become more of a routine for Hange to remind me that they had been present, even though I was very aware that they had no other place to be.

"Catherine stopped me as I walked in." I nod. "She was just saying 'hi'. I don't get what you're so paranoid about, Hange."

"That woman just knows stuff'" The writing read. "She"ll figure out soon enough that you know all about her."

"She won't." I said, shaking my head. "I'd be damned if I come to find that this woman might have a belief in ghosts. There's absolutely no way."

"Anything's possible."

"And there's no need for you to rile up any of my anxieties." I sigh. "I already know how I'm going to get rid of her, trust me. I won't do anything until tonight. I just need the time to prepare myself." I stepped away before I could even see what Hange had to say.