cxlii. ghost (part iv)

Start from the beginning

I hadn't told Moblit a thing. I didn't want him to get involved in any of this, so I decided it'd be best to leave him in the dark than to get him twisted into the wrath of an older woman. It was petty enough that she had been targeting me like this.

"I'll see you tomorrow." I said, wrapping my arms around Moblit as he returned the gesture. He smelled faintly of the harsh chemicals from the lab, and I eventually let go, my fingers straying on his shoulder for a moment longer before they finally fell back down to my waist.

"See you." He nods, turning around as I shut the door behind him. I bit my lip, taking a deep breath as I attempted to calm my increasing heart rate. I was sure something else was going to happen to me tonight. Catherine never seemed to have any intention of stopping her torment against me.

The past couple of times have been traumatizing enough. Who wouldn't end up scared out of their mind after smelling the foul scent of the poisoned air? I was glad enough that I had been educated with chemicals to know when to leave an area.

And the knife that the woman pulled on me. If the word bat-shit crazy were to ever appear in the dictionary, I'm sure that her face would appear in its definition. Luckily, we had been in a public space, so she didn't have much of an opportunity to cause any harm.

But after realizing my circumstance, I couldn't help but think that I made the wrong choice in letting Moblit go. I'm sure she must've seen him enter the building, so after his exit, she must figure that I'm alone.

I cruse myself for being so stupid as I locked the door and pushed a dresser in front of it. With all my might (and the possibility of pulling a muscle), I shifted the heavy object in front of the door with a grunt. With a final push, it had then been leaning against the door with all its weight.

I ran into the bedroom and found my suitcase, quickly stuffing it with whatever I could fit in my arms. I pulled all the clothes from my closet, hurriedly packing them away as I picked up anything essential off of my nightstand.

Once the suitcase couldn't hold anymore, I lifted it off of the bed with a grunt as I wheeled it over to the living room. I ran my fingers through my tangled hair, stressing out as I glanced around the room once more to find if I had anything else left.

Nothing jumped out at me, but the feeling of me leaving something behind still stood (mainly because I had been leaving behind an entirely furnished home). I shrugged it off as I grabbed onto the suitcase and headed for the door, but I was stopped in my tracks.

The door has been cracked open as the wardrobe was pushed off to the side. I stood still, listening intently for any signs that Catherine might've been inside of my apartment. If she had been, then I probably could have made my escape through the window by leaving all of my belongings here. But if I were to exit without any assurance that she hadn't been standing outside of the door waiting for me, then I was surely to be doomed.

I stepped back a bit quietly as my fingers traced along the cool window panes. Not a sound could be heard within the walls. Although she had been an old woman, she surely knew how to get around quietly.

A tap on my shoulder made me jump, my heart beating out of my chest as I glanced over to the side. In all her glory, the woman had been standing beside me, her eyes trained on me as she glanced at me with a titled head.

"Where're you off to?" She questions, her voice demanding and sickly.

"What?"

"The bags." She nods her head over to the center of the room.

"Oh, yeah." I clear my throat as I stood up, my fingers leaving the glass. "My.. uhm, my boyfriend, he just left. He had invited me over for a while so I was just packing up."