𝑿𝑰𝑿. 𝒘𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒈𝒂𝒕𝒆

Start from the beginning

They rowed into the middle of the lake, Harper had been cycling through Dust in the Wind for quite some time now. At this point, she could basically explain the psychological significance of the song. Not really, but it felt like it was constantly in her head either way.

Nancy looked down at the compass, "Woah, woah, woah, woah, slow down." She called, Robin and Eddie turned their oars to slow the boat. They set the oars down in the middle of the boat. Steve shined his flashlight down at the compass that was now turning like crazy.

"Woah." Steve breathed, looking down at it.

Robin's walkie let out a beep before Dustin's voice could be heard, "Guys, what's going on? Come on guys, talk to me. What's going on?" He asked once more.

Robin picked up her walkie, "Uh, Dustin, your compass has gone from wonky to wonky with a capital "aah!"." She removed her finger from the talk button.

Steve began taking off his shoes, "Steve? What are you doing?" Harper asked watching as he stood up.

"Somebody's gotta go down there and check this thing out." He said, "Unless one of you four can top being a Hawkins High swim co-captain... and a certified lifeguard for three years, then... It's gotta be me." Harper rolled her eyes at his "heroic" gesture, "No complaints, alright?"

Eddie nodded, leaning back slightly, "Hey- I'm not complaining. I do not wanna go down there." He said looking over the side of the boat. Eddie then grabbed a plastic bag and dumped it out. Harper turned her gaze away as Steve took off his shirt. Eddie wrapped a flashlight in the plastic bag before holding it towards Steve, "Hey." steve turned around and took the flashlight, "Good luck." Eddie nodded.

"Thanks." Steve breathed.

Harper turned to Eddie, watching as he put a cigarette in his mouth. He offered one to Harper, she was about to take it but the one in Eddie's mouth was pulled out by Robin who threw it into the water. Eddie sent her an annoyed look.

Steve let out a breath, preparing to jump.

"Steve?" Nancy called. Steve turned to look back at her, "Be careful." She said softly.

He sent her a small nod before jumping into the water, tipping the boat slightly. Harper jolted, grabbing Eddie's hand subconsciously. The two glanced at each other quickly before pulling their hands away. The group of four now stared into the water nervously, Harper was surprised that Eddie could hold his breath for this long.

"Where we at Wheeler?" Robin asked.

Nancy looked down at her watch, "Closing in on a minute."

"Okay."

Harper could have sworn that he had been down there longer.

Suddenly the water broke causing everyone to hold once more, "Jesus Christ!" Eddie exclaimed, looking at Steve who was now treading the water.

"I found it."

Nancy shot up, "You found it?"

Steve gripped the side of the boat, "I found it. Yeah. I found it."

"Dustin you are a goddamn Einstein! Steve found the gate!" Robin said into the walkie.

Steve nodded, "It's pretty wild. It's more of a snack-size gate than a mama gate, but still- it's pretty damn big." He said before suddenly being pulled into the water for a second and holding onto the boat. He sent the group a look before being pulled under the water.

"SH*T! Steve!" Harper called out, leaning over the boat.

Eddie stood up, "What the hell was that, man?!" He exclaimed.