𝑽𝑰𝑰. 𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓

•••

Eddie was awoken in the middle of the night by rustling next to him. His eyes shot open and he looked over at Harper. Her face was full of distress as she turned her head before quickly sitting up, her eyes wide. She let out a shaky breath before looking around frantically, her eyes settling on Eddie.

"Sorry... did I wake you up?" She asked, looking down at her hands, her breath still uneven, it was clear that she was still scarred from the dream she had. Eddie shook his head before wrapping his arms around the girl, pulling her close to him. Harper hesitated before snaking her arms around his waist.

Eddie leaned back against the wall, pulling Harper with him, her head resting on his shoulder, and her hand placed on his chest "Do you want to talk about it?" He asked. It was clear that she needed comfort.

"N-not really." She said, "If that's okay."

Eddie nodded, rubbing her back, "It is. Take your time." Harper turned slightly so her leg was tangled with one of his and her hand was placed on his waist. She didn't hear Eddie's breath hitch when she did that. Harper closed her eyes, feeling more at peace than she did a few minutes ago but still nervous.

The boy could tell by the grip on his shirt that Harper was still nervous, "You want me to read you something? To help you fall asleep?"

Harper opened her eyes and turned her gaze up to Eddie, "That would be nice." She breathed.
Eddie shifted slightly, reaching over to grab something from next to his bed, "As long as it's not like a porn magazine." She joked causing Eddie to let out a chuckle. His chest shifted with every laugh.

"Don't worry," He paused, his grip around her waist tightening, "It's better." He held the book in one hand, resting his hand on his stomach for support before he took in a breath, "Where was I..."

Harper chuckled, after catching a glimpse of the book that he was holding, "Holy sh*t, you're a nerd." She said as she saw the book it was Lord Of The Rings, Return Of The King.

His grip on her waist tightened even more, "Yeah- looks who's talking." He growled jokingly, leaning down so he was speaking into her hair. Harper let out a giggle before letting him find his spot in the book, "Ah~ there we are... 'We have come to a dead end, Sam,' said Frodo. 'If we go on, we shall only come up to that orc- tower, but the only road to take is that road that comes down from it – unless we go back. We can't climb up westward, or climb down eastward.'"

Eddie changed his voice when he spoke as Frodo, his voice a little higher and whinier. Harper smiled against his chest as he continued reading, "'Then we must take the road, Mr Frodo,' said Sam. 'We must take it and chance our luck if there is any luck in Mordor..."

•••

"Harper..." The girl heard her name being called. She groggily sat up and rubbed her eyes before looking next to her and seeing Eddie.

Her eyes widened, "What the hell." She breathed before looking down at herself and seeing her body covered in one of his shirts. She winced, feeling a splitting headache.

Eddie chuckled, "This is what happens when you have eight or nine drinks." Harper looked up at him confused.

"What the hell did we do man?" Harper asked, she couldn't remember anything from yesterday, at least nothing from after Steve and Robin left.

Eddie shook his head before standing up and grabbing Harper's clothes off the floor and tossing them to her, "Nothing actually. You had a few too many drinks and I was going to take you home but you said your mom wouldn't like that. So I offered mine." Eddie glanced down at his watch, "But we- uh, have school in like thirty minutes so you might wanna get ready. I can take you home first if you want." Eddie crossed his arms and leaned against the door behind him sending Harper a smile.