CHPT 3 - "Vexatious"

After finishing the bed I pulled out my phone from my back pocket. I was still waiting for my stuff to arrive, just like Hia had promised.
"Where's my stuff?" I texted him, now I just had to wait for him to reply. I bet he was with Pete right now, he's always busy these days. I just hope he actually sees it.

Suddenly I remembered that I had homework. I didn't really want to do it, but I had to. If I didn't manage to pass this grade level Pete would worry about me. I didn't want him to worry about my grades, he had Venice to worry about now. So I tuck my phone back in my pocket and headed down to the living room.
The sight I captured as I walked down the staircase was quite entertaining. Porchay was hastily dusting the TV screen and the table it sat on. Seriously, this kid didn't have to worry about me that much. It almost warmed my heart...almost.

"What are you doing?" I asked as I stepped down the last stair. My arms were crossed, but it wasn't to intimidate him, I was just comfortable that way. "I haven't cleaned in a while, after all, I'm sure you're used to living in a very clean house." Chay had been fidgeting with the long handle that extended from the duster. It was cute, but I felt like he was uncomfortable with my presence.

I walked in direction to the sofa, reaching out for my backpack that I had left when we entered the house. "You seriously don't have to keep doing this."

"I don't want you to feel uncomfortable. You're used to living like a royal, I want you to feel that way here..." He what? This kid had it all wrong. I hated living like a 'Royal' it came with too much responsibility. If I was going to stay here for two nights I didn't want to deal with people treating me like... the son of an important figure, who was now dead. "Who says I like living like one?" I looked at him straight in the eye, waiting for him to respond. I wanted him to understand I was just like every other teenager his age. I didn't want to carry all the weight of my family's business, because that's what I had to deal with in order to be respected.

"I'm sorry, I just thought you..." he broke eye contact and no further words came from his mouth. Had I been rude? Yes. Had I been too dominant? Maybe. But if I hadn't he wouldn't have understood any other way.

I unzipped the front side of my backpack taking out my mathematics notebook, where today's homework was stored at "You're good in math right?" I asked. He simply nodded at my question. I'm sure he wanted to say something, anything, but he was noticeably shy around me. He wasn't like this with Pete though.

"Can you help me with my homework? I've missed a couple of days, and everyone else is so busy no one cares to explain." .... in the most non-threatening way I offered him the notebook. I figured he was the type of person you had to treat kindly in order for him to trust you. He placed the duster on the side of the short table that was located behind him, and gripped the book with both his hands staring at the cover instead of facing me, "I don't know if I can explain it well enough, but I'll try to do my best."

It might have been the only useful thing father had taught me, but I still remember his words. He always claimed that you had to figure out what type of person you were talking to. Everyone was different, but for the most part they all fell into 3 categories. The first one, it described most of the population: kindness had to prevail among anything else. They enjoyed to be treated with sympathy rather than respect. The second was meant for high society: they loved to be treated like royals. If anything, you had to watch you words, give them what they wanted to hear. It might be annoying, but it was useful. The third and last: with these people around you could act like yourself, and they would never leave you. Father warned me... I would never find someone like that. However, I can't help but think someone out there will one day make me feel safe and happy, like Pete makes Hia feel.

THIRD PERSON POV:

Macau watched as Chay pulled the chair away from the table. Chay was always so delicate when it came to doing things, at least that's what Macau thought of him.