Chapter 42: Hospital (Round Two)

TW: verbal sexual harassment, references implied sexual content, kidnapping, eating disorders, depression, suicidal thoughts, and death

~~~

11:59 a.m.

Heeseung could have mistaken Beomgyu for being asleep, had it not been for the paperwork at the foot of the bed labeling him as a comatose patient.

The young boy looked so peaceful lying there in his hospital gown, chest rising and falling rhythmically. It was hard to believe that he wasn't just taking a nap and that his bright eyes wouldn't soon open again, cheeky and ready to cause mischief. The door creaked open and Heeseung glanced up, watching Taehyun shuffle into the room. Two women followed behind: a doctor and a nurse.

"It's okay if you're not ready to try again," Heeseung quietly said. "I don't want you to put yourself through any more pain."

"I'm okay," Taehyun whispered back. "I've calmed down a bit since this morning."

Heeseung nodded. "If you're sure, go ahead."

Taehyun took a deep breath, resting a hand on the railing of Beomgyu's bed.

"Beomgyu," he whimpered. His face immediately flushed with embarrassment and he cleared his throat, trying again with a stronger voice, "Beomgyu."

No movement.

He gently cupped the sleeping boy's cheek. "It's me, Taehyun. Can you hear me?"

Nothing.

Taehyun let out a quiet huff of frustration.

"Beomgyu," he said a little louder. "Please wake up."

Still nothing.

Taehyun turned around to face the doctor. "It's not working. This is stupid."

Heeseung caught Taehyun's arm as the younger boy tried to flee the room. "I know this is hard. You can stop if you want, but Beomgyu needs you. He loved you, and you're the strongest connection he has to-"

"Why are you saying 'loved?'" Taehyun's face scrunched up as he dropped to his knees, touching his chest in anguish. "It's not 'loved.' He's still here. He's still here!"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Heeseung crouched beside him, hugging the younger boy. "I meant love."

"Beomgyu!" Taehyun shouted hoarsely from Heeseung's arms. "Wake up. Please. Wake up!"

He fought his way out of Heeseung's grasp, crawling to reach Beomgyu's bedside. The nurse sharply inhaled, taking a step forward.

"Wait," the doctor whispered. "Give him another minute."

"Ma'am, he's going to rip his stitches."

"We won't let it get to that point." The doctor glanced down at her clipboard, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "Besides, we're running out of time. I'd rather deal with wound dehiscence than brain death."

"Wait, sorry, uh-" Heeseung looked up in alarm. "What do you mean we're running out of time?"

The doctor let out a long sigh. "I don't want to scare you, Heeseung-ssi, but if he's in a coma for longer than twenty-four hours, his chance of a full recovery drops to ten percent. It only goes downhill from there."

"Then why are you wasting time making us talk to him?!" Heeseung's chest tightened in panic as he stood up. "Don't you have, like, meds to wake him up or something? I-"

He took a deep breath, trying to calm his anxieties. "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry, I... I didn't mean-"

"It's alright," the doctor smiled. She turned to the nurse, passing her a clipboard in exchange for a stack of Beomgyu's MRI scans. "Studies have shown that having a loved one talk to a comatose patient can greatly speed up recovery time, which is what we're aiming for right now."