56: We just got away with stealing a bike

Start from the beginning

“Dad,” I said simply, resisting the urge to facepalm myself.

He, however, was now settling himself beside me, giving my shoulder a small pat. “Problems of the heart, huh?”

A titter slipped off my lips at that. “Well, I wouldn't exactly call it that. But I guess so.”

“Want to talk to your old man about it?”

That was a tricky question.

It’s not that my dad was a bad person to talk to. He was actually pretty great. The only problem though, was that he could get a little too...intense.

I remembered talking to him about my nervousness to begin freshman year. And dad, wanting to help me face my fears, took me on a dangerously insane cliff jumping spree. Believe me, I still had nightmares about those jumps – each one more heart stopping than the next.

And how could I forget the one from when I was a kid? At that time, Dove and I slept with one eye open every night because of a horror movie we’d watched, thus making us live in fear of the ravenous monster coming to claim our souls.

To help us overcome our fright, my dad would dress up in this super creepy costume, and playing some equally creepy music on his pocket radio, he sneaked into our rooms for two rights straight.

As you might expect from a bunch of kids, we didn’t receive that well. If anything, we’d screamed like banshees at the sight. As for my dad, he’d put the lights on between laughs, saying, “you see? There's nothing to be scared of.”

But while he said that, our minds usually went something like: ‘you want to try saying that when we're not half paralyzed from fright?’

In his defense though, his tactics did yield results. We got over our fear of the monster, and the same applied to my freshman year nervousness situation.

So, with that in my mind, I found myself saying, “it's just...did you ever think about not telling mom about your feelings for her?”

“Of course I did,” he mused, chuckling softly. “You know when I first met your mom, I knew it was love. I was standing in that club, and there she was – looking so perfect.” His lips upturned in nostalgia as he spoke, and despite myself, a ghost of a smile played across my features as I listened to him. “She was all I could see – so clear before my eyes.”

“But I thought you said you were stoned the first time you met?”

“Yeah,” he admitted, a certain sheepishness about him now as he rubbed the nape of his neck. “Ok, fine, let's just say I saw double of her clearly,” he added, making us chuckle.

“But even then, I knew she was special. And later on, when we got to knowing each other better, I just found myself falling for her spontaneous and fun personality. And on those nights in one of the old trucks in Bobby's factory, when we did it till…”

“Ew, dad, no!” I cried, interrupting his passionate description, my face scrunched in mock horror. “TMI.”

“Ok, your call, Beef Jerky. But just so you know, I'm pretty sure we made you in one of Bobby's old trucks.”

“Well, thanks for permanently scarring me with that information,” I remarked, leaving him chortling.

However, a moment later and he was going on – albeit without the traumatizing details this time. “But despite all that, I was scared of saying those three words to her. She was just such a free soul, and I was scared that if I confessed my feelings, she'd feel like I was tying her down. I thought it'd be best to keep it in, not say anything and just be happy with the way our relationship was – casual, easy, the way I thought she liked it.”