37: I'm taking Hawk to live with a wolf pack

“So, did she fall for it?” Hawk asked almost as soon as I stepped into the music room. 

I didn't say anything, I just walked past him – all the while, keeping a morose expression on my face.

“Hawk,” I started weakly, leaving him staring expectantly back at me. “The thing is,” I continued. What followed was a long pause, and that was how far I was able to go before breaking the façade, a grin immediately stretching on my lips at my declaration of: “she totally fell for it!”

“Really?” He echoed, the sheer excitement on his face clear, making me beam more – if that was even possible.

“Trust me, SpongeBob, if everyone doesn't know about our break up by tomorrow, then Amy must have been kidnapped or something.”

“Yeah, Amy moves fast,” he chimed between chuckles, with me echoing the mirthful sounds from beside him.

With the decline of our mirth however, an empty silence remained. That kind of silence that begged to be broken, but whose request was hard to heed because the words to do so were difficult to find.

“So,” I started unsurely. 

“So,” he echoed.

I, however, suddenly found myself playing with my hands, saying, “I guess we’re officially broken up now, right?” 

“Ehh...more like unofficially though.” That earned a chortle from me, and from him, a smile. “Remember the first time we were here together?”

“You mean, when we made those ridiculous fake dating rules.”

“Yeah, those were pretty ridiculous,” he echoed in agreement.

“And remember that piano?” I asked slyly, watching in amusement as he rubbed the nape with a sheepish chuckle. “You almost melted into the piano that day. You were so red, I was scared you were sick or something,” I sallied.

“No, I wasn’t.” 

But if anything that just made me laugh. And despite his initial protest, he soon joined in – the both of us fully aware of the fact that he was.

Soon though, my voice was slicing through. “Hawk, there is something that I really need to ask you?”

I could sense his attention on me, his questioning eyes holding mine. So, I took that as my cue to add, “now that you're no longer my ‘boyfriend,’ can I still call you ‘SpongeBob?’ You do realize that was kind of my couple's nickname for you, right?”

He laughed at that, saying, “yeah, I kind of figured it was. And you know, that's actually the best nickname I've ever gotten. It beats Beef Jerky and Pepper Chicken by about a hundred points.”

This time, it was my turn to laugh. “You're so weird.” However, a second later, and I was shooting him an accusing stare. “Hey, now that I think about it, you never did give me a nickname.”

“But what about that one?”

“Which one?”

“Round Eyes.”

“Oh! That one,” I started, pretending to consider it. “How about ‘don't even try calling me that,’” I mused, repeating my words from that day in the hallway.

“To be fair, it’s not that bad though.”

“I’m pretty sure it’s beyond bad,” I remarked, fixing him with a sly smirk. 

“You're so mean,” he huffed, leaving me chortling – and despite himself, it wasn't long before he joined in as well.

.